Installing root on MacOSx

Hi

I’m trying to install root v5.17.02 from source on my intel macbook pro (10.4.10). My compiler is gcc 4.0.1. I configure using this command line:

./configure macosx 
--enable-mysql 
--with-mysql-incdir=/usr/local/mysql/include/ --with-mysql-libdir=/usr/local/mysql/lib/ 
--enable-ruby --with-ruby-incdir=/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.10.1/  --with-ruby-libdir=/usr/local/lib/ 

I am building with ROOTSYS set to the directory I wish to install in.

However, half way through the build, it starts to look to link against libraries, but looks in the install directory. (see attached file) I can hack this by soflinking the $ROOTSYS/lib to build_dir/lib but thats nasty and I assume its part of a bigger problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks

Caius

This is the error I get:

make: g77: Command not found
g++ -O2 -dynamiclib -single_module -undefined dynamic_lookup install_name /lib/libGpad.dylib -o lib/libGpad.dylib gpad/src/TAttCanvas.o gpad/src/TButton.o gpad/src/TCanvas.o gpad/src/TClassTree.o gpad/src/TColorWheel.o gpad/src/TControlBar.o gpad/src/TControlBarButton.o gpad/src/TCreatePrimitives.o gpad/src/TDialogCanvas.o gpad/src/TGroupButton.o gpad/src/TInspectCanvas.o gpad/src/TPad.o gpad/src/TPaveClass.o gpad/src/TSlider.o gpad/src/TSliderBox.o gpad/src/TView.o gpad/src/TViewer3DPad.o gpad/src/G__GPad.o -ldl -Llib -lGraf -lHist -Llib -lCore -lCint
ld: warning can't open dynamic library: /Users/caius/root/lib/libMatrix.dylib referenced from: lib/libGraf.dylib (checking for undefined symbols may be affected) (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
ld: warning can't open dynamic library: /Users/caius/root/lib/libRIO.dylib referenced from: lib/libGraf.dylib (checking for undefined symbols may be affected) (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
ld: Undefined symbols:__ZN11TBufferFileC1EN7TBuffer5EModeE referenced from libGraf expected to be defined in /Users/caius/root/lib/libRIO.dylib

I cannot reproduce this problem. Can you retry with the svn trunk.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi Fons,

I just bumped into this on the svn trunk (r20756) with a G5 running OS X 10.4.10. Here’s the configure

./configure macosx --build=gfortran --build=debug --with-mysql-incdir=/Volumes/STAR/mit/fink/10.4/ppc/include/mysql --with-mysql-libdir=/Volumes/STAR/mit/fink/10.4/ppc/lib/mysql --with-xml-incdir=/Volumes/STAR/mit/fink/10.4/ppc/include/libxml2 --with-xml-libdir=/Volumes/STAR/mit/fink/10.4/ppc/lib --with-fftw3-incdir=/Volumes/STAR/mit/fink/10.4/ppc/include --with-fftw3-libdir=/Volumes/STAR/mit/fink/10.4/ppc/lib --with-clhep-incdir=/Volumes/STAR/mit/fink/10.4/ppc/include --disable-builtin-zlib --disable-builtin-pcre --disable-afs --enable-mysql --enable-roofit --enable-mathcore --enable-mathmore --enable-reflex --enable-cintex --enable-minuit2 --enable-table --enable-ruby --enable-python --enable-gdml --enable-unuran --enable-odbc --disable-builtin-freetype --enable-cern --with-pythia6-libdir=/Volumes/STAR/mit/fink/10.4/ppc/lib/root --enable-g4root --disable-qt --with-python-incdir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/include/python2.3 --with-python-libdir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current

which results in

g++ -g -dynamiclib -single_module -undefined dynamic_lookup -install_name /Library/STAR/ROOT/trunk-build/lib/libGpad.dylib -o lib/libGpad.dylib gpad/src/TAttCanvas.o gpad/src/TButton.o gpad/src/TCanvas.o gpad/src/TClassTree.o gpad/src/TColorWheel.o gpad/src/TControlBar.o gpad/src/TControlBarButton.o gpad/src/TCreatePrimitives.o gpad/src/TDialogCanvas.o gpad/src/TGroupButton.o gpad/src/TInspectCanvas.o gpad/src/TPad.o gpad/src/TPaveClass.o gpad/src/TSlider.o gpad/src/TSliderBox.o gpad/src/TView.o gpad/src/TViewer3DPad.o gpad/src/G__GPad.o -ldl -Llib -lGraf -lHist -Llib -lCore -lCint
ld: warning can't open dynamic library: /Library/STAR/ROOT/trunk-build/lib/libMatrix.dylib referenced from: lib/libGraf.dylib (checking for undefined symbols may be affected) (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
ld: warning can't open dynamic library: /Library/STAR/ROOT/trunk-build/lib/libRIO.dylib referenced from: lib/libGraf.dylib (checking for undefined symbols may be affected) (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
ld: Undefined symbols:
__ZN11TBufferFileC1EN7TBuffer5EModeE referenced from libGraf expected to be defined in /Library/STAR/ROOT/trunk-build/lib/libRIO.dylib

Same issue as reported below: ld is looking in the install directory for libMatrix, but it doesn’t exist there yet. I didn’t have any trouble on an Intel Mac running 10.5 with r20717. Regards, Adam