Installing ROOT / CINT on a Windows machine

Hello everybody,

I am trying to install ROOT on my Windows XP machine and I have a series of questions that I hope to get some help with.

(1) I am installing the recommended version

WindowsXP/NT/w2000 with VC++ 7.1 (runs with VC++6 and VC++8.0)

but may I ask, what sort of interface am I going to be using to interact with ROOT? DOS? Cygwin?

(2) Also, what does “binaries” mean? What is the difference between installing from the “binaries” vs. building ROOT from “source”?

(3) Am I correct I am supposed to install Visual C++ first before downloading and installing the recommended ver 5.10/00? Do binaries mean the ROOT code has been compiled already? And if so, why do we still need Visual C++?

(4) I’ve started installing the free Visual C++ and I’m at the final part where I am told

[color=darkred][quote]After to have downloaded and installed all these components, there is one point remaining.

The msvcp71.dll import library file msvcprt.lib is not included in the distribution.

So here are the import library and the definition file :

msvcprt.lib
msvcprt.def[/quote]
[/color]
But I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with these files. Should I save them in a particular directory? Which one?

That’s all for now – but I’m sure I’ll have further questions.

Thanks for the help!

Yi-Zen

Hello Yi-Zen,

[quote]but may I ask, what sort of interface am I going to be using to interact with ROOT? DOS? Cygwin?
[/quote]Command prompt (DOS)

quote Also, what does “binaries” mean? What is the difference between installing from the “binaries” vs. building ROOT from “source”?
[/quote]binaries mean that Root has been built and contains executables, libraries and DLLs.
building ROOT from source means that only the source code is included in the tarfile and you have to build exes libs and dlls yourself.

quote Am I correct I am supposed to install Visual C++ first before downloading and installing the recommended ver 5.10/00? Do binaries mean the ROOT code has been compiled already? And if so, why do we still need Visual C++?
[/quote]You need VisualC++ only if you ned to compile your own application with ROOT libs, or if you want to use ACLiC.

quote I’ve started installing the free Visual C++ and I’m at the final part where I am told
[/quote]Well, .lib files must go in the VisualC++ lib directory…(i.e \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib)

Cheers,
Bertrand.

[quote=“wanderer”]Hello everybody,

I am trying to install ROOT on my Windows XP machine and I have a series of questions that I hope to get some help with.
Yi-Zen[/quote]
You may want to try the InstallShield well-known for the Windows users installation package from root.bnl.gov
No guess job, just click the link of the appropriated ROOT version:
root.bnl.gov/QtRoot/downloads/root.5.11.02.exe
or
root.bnl.gov/QtRoot/downloads/root.5.10.00.exe
etc
and follow the well-known installation wizard dailog.

With the coming release, we will provide standard installshield versions of ROOT (files will be .msi instead of .tar.gz) from our web site.
Just wait one more week (thanks to Axel & Bertrand).

Rene