Installing --enable-cocoa option

dear expert:

is it possible to compile root with the new --enable-cocoa in MacOSx 10.5.8 Leopard (XCode3.1.4).

after fixing some issue when configure try to reach SDK (rewrite OSXSDK variable so configure actually finds path to SDK) I start compiling and precisely at Cocoa it break with:

g++ -O2 -m64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -o bin/rlibmap core/utils/src/rlibmap.o
bin/rmkdepend -R -fcore/macosx/src/CocoaUtils.d -Y -w 1000 – -m64 -pipe -Wshadow -W -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -pthread -D__cplusplus – /Users/arian/CERN/root/root-5.34.02/core/macosx/src/CocoaUtils.mm
g++ -O2 -m64 -pipe -Wshadow -W -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -pthread -ObjC++ -o core/macosx/src/CocoaUtils.o -c /Users/arian/CERN/root/root-5.34.02/core/macosx/src/CocoaUtils.mm
cc1objplus: error: invalid option argument ‘-ObjC++’

I am using:

~/CERN/root/root-5.34.02$ g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 4.5.2

tia

Hello.

I’m afraid the answer is no: cocoa-based backend can be compiled only by Apple’s clang (which can be installed with XCode) and even more - you need more or less modern version of XCode - in previous versions they have some bugs and ROOT’s code can not be compiled as Objective-C++ (TGCocoa/TGQuartz and aux. functions are Objective-C++ code and they inherit ROOT’s classes and all these ClassDef/ClassImp things).

thanks tpochep, apparently I’ll have to upgrade my macbook. that’s bad for my thesis, I’ll have to survive until then with the usual “gcc” compilation.

cheers