all files get unzipped to /opt/root/root

i then configure with ./configure linux --prefix=/opt/root/root

when i try to make i get a bunch of errors like:

Makefile:374: gpad/src/TSliderBox.d: No such file or directory
Makefile:374: gpad/src/TSlider.d: No such file or directory
Makefile:374: gpad/src/TUtilPad.d: No such file or directory
Makefile:374: gpad/src/G__GPad.d: No such file or directory
Makefile:374: gui/src/HelpText.d: No such file or directory

after looking in the directories, i see the real extension of these files is .cxx .

if i ignore and just finish the installation process, i get a XpmOpenFailed message when i try run root

i also get messages that say something like:
Error: cannot open /opt/root/oot/lib/root/cint/MAKEINFO
!!! There are examples of MAKEINFO files under /opt/root/root/lib/root/cint/platform/

but this directory doesn’t exist!!!

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi James,
you can ignore these messages:
Makefile:374: gpad/src/TSliderBox.d: No such file or directory

The real error messages indicate that root cannot find its install dir, and the reason is that you announced - by specifying --prefix in the config options - that you will install the build later. The source and target dir for the installation being the same is probably not supported (you built it in /opt/root/root/, and you want to install it in /opt/root/root/). Out of curiosity, did you actually run make install? As I said, it might not have done anything, becaus it assumed that everything is already around.

Anyway, here’s what you want to do: specify a --prefix path different from your build dir, and run make install. Or don’t specify --prefix at all (and don’t run make install), and just use the build in /opt/root/root/, in which case you’ll have to define the environment variable ROOTSYS=/opt/root/root.

Axel.

Axel,

got installed and running with no error messages…Thanks!

james

Hello, everybody :slight_smile:

I’m trying to install root on both my machines (just for the chronicle, a Compaq PIV 2.0 workstation with SuSE 9.1 Pro and gcc 3.3.3 and a HP laptop with AMD Athlon XP-M 1.6 and SuSE 9.2 Pro w. gcc 3.3.4), and I’m experiencing exactly the same problems jed2103 and other members of the forum have reported here and in some other threads.

Since I don’t know precisely how to compare the Linux distros you are mainly concentrating on with mine (I mean: what are the differences and/or the analogies between, say, a Intel x86 Linux for Redhat FedoraCore2 and gcc 3.3.3 and a Intel x86 SuSE 9.1 Pro w. gcc 3.3.3? Both are RPM-based distros, but what about the rest?), I’ve cut it short and downloaded the sources of the most recent v4.03.02 and the binaries for RedHat 9.0 w. gcc 3.2.2 (i.e., the file root_v4.03.02.Linux.RH9.0.gcc32.tar.gz). I’ve decided to focus on these - with gcc 3.2.2 - because I’ve recently had some trouble in trying to “adapt” a RH FC2 software to my system, which have led me to think (maybe naively) that a little “downgrading” could be helpful.

Now, here’s what happens. If I try to install the binaries directly into a dedicated directory (/opt/root) and I assign all the suitable environment variables to the shell, that is:

export ROOTSYS=/opt/root export PATH=$PATH:$ROOTSYS/bin export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ROOTSYS/lib export MANPATH=$MANPATH:$ROOTSYS/man

when I try to start root I get:

andrea@Euclides:~> root /opt/root/bin/root.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory andrea@Euclides:~>

(ahem… Euclides is my computer :blush:). So, root seems to need and to look for a misterious [color=green]libssl.so.4[/color]: which of course is nowhere in the world, since even the most recent Openssl 0.9.7d release (which, by the way, I have on both machines) provides [color=green]libssl.so.0.9.7[/color] at most :wink:

If, on the contrary, I try to compile the sources and install the build in the same directory I was talking about before (/opt/root), with the usual

./configure --prefix=/opt/root gmake gmake install

when I try to start root I get:

[code]andrea@Euclides:~> root
dlopen error: /opt/root/lib/root/libGX11.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK7TObject5WriteEPKcii
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /opt/root/lib/root/libGX11.so

•    W E L C O M E  to  R O O T       *

• Version 4.03/02 18 March 2005 *

• You are welcome to visit our Web site *
  •      http://root.cern.ch            *

Compiled for linux with thread support.

CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.15.159, Nov 14 2004
Type ? for help. Commands must be C++ statements.
Enclose multiple statements between { }.
*** Interpreter error recovered ***
Error: cannot open file “RtypesCint.h” FILE:(tmpfile) LINE:2
*** Interpreter error recovered ***
dlopen error: /opt/root/lib/root/libHtml.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK7TObject5WriteEPKcii
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /opt/root/lib/root/libHtml.so[/code]

but even in this case the behaviour is quite strange, since the libraries it declares to need and to be unable to locate actually are there, in the build :unamused:

The only way I’ve been able to make it work is by using Axel’s suggestion, untar the root_v4.03.02.source.tar.gz in /opt/root, then proceed only to build there with [color=green]./configure[/color] and [color=green]make[/color]. After this, root opens absolutely nicely and - as long as I have been able to monitor until now - works fine :smiley:

Now anyway a spontaneous (at least for me) question arises out: that is, what should one do with all the directories one gets after the building? I mean: since the actually basic directories are, for what I’ve been able to understand, in /root:

[ul]/bin
/cint
/etc
/fonts
/icons
/include
/lib
/macros
/proof
/README
/test
/tutorials[/ul]
what should one do of all the rest? Is it all necessary? Does it all need to be kept there? What to do of all the CVS directories there are in the subdirectories of /root? What about the secondary [color=green]Makefile[/color] files scattered all around (I know this is a very trivial and naive question, but I admit this is the first time I find myself in the necessity of installing an “important” and quite complex software through the [color=green]make - make install[/color] procedure)?

BTW, I add that I’m graduating in physics (here, at the University of Milano) and will need to use root mainly for statistical data analysis. Anyway, I must admit I’m very curious about all the other functionalities root promises to supply, so I think I’ll go dig it :wink:

Andrea