Installation problems with Ubuntu

Dear root,

I’m trying to install root 5.16 on an Ubuntu linux system. After about 15 mins of compilation it gives me a long list of linker problems of the type:

g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libCintex.so -m32 -O2 -o lib/libCintex.so cintex/src/CINTClassBuilder.o cintex/src/CINTEnumBuilder.o cintex/src/Cintex.o cintex/src/CINTFunctional.o cintex/src/CINTFunctionBuilder.o cintex/src/CINTScopeBuilder.o cintex/src/CINTTypedefBuilder.o cintex/src/CINTUtils.o cintex/src/CINTVariableBuilder.o cintex/src/ROOTClassEnhancer.o
.L245' referenced in section.rodata’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIlE6toCintEP8G__valuePv' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o.L246’ referenced in section .rodata' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIlE6toCintEP8G__valuePv’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o
.L217' referenced in section.rodata’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIlE6toCintEP8G__valuePv' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o.L239’ referenced in section .rodata' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIlE6toCintEP8G__valuePv’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o
.L237' referenced in section.rodata’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIlE6toCintEP8G__valuePv' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o.L241’ referenced in section .rodata' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIlE6toCintEP8G__valuePv’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o
.L214' referenced in section.rodata’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIlE6toCintEP8G__valuePv' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o.L440’ referenced in section .rodata' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIdE6toCintEP8G__valuePv’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o
.L441' referenced in section.rodata’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section `.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIdE6toCintEP8G__valuePv’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o

.L485' referenced in section.rodata’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section `.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIiE6toCintEP8G__valuePv’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o
collect2: ld a retourné 1 code d’état d’exécution
make: *** [lib/libCintex.so] Erreur 1
rm utils/src/rootcint_tmp.cxx utils/src/RStl_tmp.cxx
benjamin@ordi-benjamin:~/root$

Here’s the info on my system:benjamin@ordi-benjamin:~/root$ uname -a
Linux ordi-benjamin 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP W
ed Jun 4 16:35:01 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

and the compiler:

benjamin@ordi-benjamin:~/root$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 (Ubuntu 3.4.6-6ubuntu5)
Copyright © 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Ce logiciel est libre; voir les sources pour les conditions de copie. Il n’y a PAS
GARANTIE; ni implicite pour le MARCHANDAGE ou pour un BUT PARTICULIER.

benjamin@ordi-benjamin:~/root$ g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 3.4.6 (Ubuntu 3.4.6-6ubuntu5)
Ce logiciel est libre; voir les sources pour les conditions de copie. Il n’y a PAS
GARANTIE; ni implicite pour le MARCHANDAGE ou pour un BUT PARTICULIER.

benjamin@ordi-benjamin:~/root$ g77 --version
GNU Fortran (GCC) 3.4.6 (Ubuntu 3.4.6-6ubuntu5)

GNU Fortran est fourni sans aucune garantie, selon les limites permises par la loi.
Vous pouvez redistribuer des copies de GNU Fortran
selon les termes de la GNU General Public License.
Pour plus d’informations à ce sujet, consulter le fichier portant le nom COPYING
ou taper la commande `info -f g77 Copying’.

Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Thanks,

Nicolas

Hi,

I don’t know of any problems with GCC 3.4 and Cintex and I cannot reproduce this. Do you really use Ubuntu GCC 3.4.6? Usually people use 4.something nowadays. GCC 3.4 works with ROOT 5.16; it has been built many many times. So it’s maybe the installation you have, or an incompatible linker version.

Do you need cintex? If you don’t know what it is then you probably won’t miss it :slight_smile: Just ./configure --disable-cintex should get you going.

Cheers, Axel.

In fact, I had problems with gcc/g++ 4.2 so I installed 3.2, I then I get the errors I described.

Disabling cintex worked, thanks for the hints!

Nicolas