Installation on SUSE 10.2 with cernlib

I tried to install the root [with cernlib] on SUSE10.2.
The first problem was the installation of the cernlib.
While the SUSE10.2 provide gcc 4.1.2 by default which doesn’t contain “g77” but gfortran instead, I found the cleanest way the recompilation of the cernlib with gfortran.
It is done.

Second step is the compilation of the root …
The root doesnt provide (?) Makefile with gfortran only for MacOS users. So I changed the Makefile.linux accordung my needs (F77=gfortran, F77LIB={Patrh} libgfortran libgfortranbegin …)

Everything is going OK, but when the compilation arrives to the linking of the g2root I got the following messages:

g++ -O -o bin/g2rootold main/src/g2rootold.o
-L/cern/cernlib/lib -L/cern/cernlib/lib -lpacklib -lkernlib
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.1.2/libgfortran.a
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.1.2/libgfortranbegin.a -lnsl
-lm -ldl -pthread -rdynamic
/cern/cernlib/lib/libpacklib.a(mzbook.o): In function mzbook_': mzbook.F:(.text+0xd4): undefined reference tolshift_’
/cern/cernlib/lib/libpacklib.a(mzdrop.o): In function mzdrop_': mzdrop.F:(.text+0x76): undefined reference tolshift_’
/cern/cernlib/lib/libpacklib.a(mzflag.o): In function mzflag_': mzflag.F:(.text+0x78): undefined reference tolshift_‘
mzflag.F:(.text+0x1dd): undefined reference to lshift_' mzflag.F:(.text+0x22a): undefined reference tolshift_’
/cern/cernlib/lib/libpacklib.a(mzflag.o):mzflag.F:(.text+0x278): more undefined
references to lshift_' follow collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [bin/g2root] Error 1 make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs.... /cern/cernlib/lib/libpacklib.a(mzbook.o): In functionmzbook_’:
mzbook.F:(.text+0xd4): undefined reference to lshift_' /cern/cernlib/lib/libpacklib.a(mzdrop.o): In functionmzdrop_’:
mzdrop.F:(.text+0x76): undefined reference to lshift_' /cern/cernlib/lib/libpacklib.a(mzflag.o): In functionmzflag_’:
mzflag.F:(.text+0x78): undefined reference to lshift_' mzflag.F:(.text+0x1dd): undefined reference tolshift_‘
mzflag.F:(.text+0x22a): undefined reference to lshift_' /cern/cernlib/lib/libpacklib.a(mzflag.o):mzflag.F:(.text+0x278): more undefined references tolshift_’ follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/g2rootold] Error 1

What I am doing wrong, and how should I do it?
Thanks,

Karoly

Hi,

please try the cvs head version where the Makefile.linux has now a gfortran option that was tested by some other users. Please try that and let me know.

Cheers, Fons.