I have installed an application on Vista like this:

c:\Program Files (x86)
…\app
…\root
…\etc
…\plugins
…\TVirtualHistPainter
…\lib

I utilize parts of ROOT (5.18.00d) and keep the directory structure below \root intact. Everything works fine on XP but on Vista I have a problem:

ROOT does not load plugins when the plugins path contains ‘(’.

I’ve searched the sources and found problems in TSystem::SplitAclicMode and G__process_cmd (v6_pause.cxx) where the ‘(’ seems to be recognized as starting a parameter list.

I fixed those so that my app runs again but would be happy if you could have a look. Thank you.

Regards,
Andreas Schömann

I do not think it is a very “Vista” issue.
ROOT doesn’t “like” the file names with the space and special symbols inside (on any platform). I believe it ought to be shocked by “(x86)” as the file name. Try to not install it under “Program Files (x86)”. It should help.

[quote=“fine”]I do not think it is a very “Vista” issue.
ROOT doesn’t “like” the file names with the space and special symbols inside (on any platform). I believe it ought to be shocked by “(x86)” as the file name. Try to not install it under “Program Files (x86)”. It should help.[/quote]

1. The user decides where to install the software package.
  2. The ‘Program Files (x86)’ directory is the default installation location on Vista for 32-bit software.
  3. Avoiding directories with ‘special’ characters means I have to install the \root-branch somewhere else. I’m not eager to do that, especially not on OS X where I want to keep everthing inside a bundle.

Is there a chance that this behaviour will be fixed in ROOT?

Regards,
Andreas Schömann

[quote=“ASchoemann”]1. The user decides where to install the software package.
2. The ‘Program Files (x86)’ directory is the default installation location on Vista for 32-bit software.
[/quote]I tend to agree, And what … ? Did my advice help you to workaround?[quote=“ASchoemann”]Is there a chance that this behaviour will be fixed in ROOT?[/quote]Personally, I want to know this too. The “Program Files” was the Microsoft “standard” since Windows NT 3.0 day 1(since 93-94). You should wait someone from the CERN team to respond.

[quote=“fine”][quote=“ASchoemann”]1. The user decides where to install the software package.
[/quote]I tend to agree, And what … ? Did my advice help you to workaround?[/quote]

Your advice works.

However, I’ve already changed the ROOT sources to make my app work with ‘(’ in path name. But: so far I use only a very very small subset of ROOT functionality so my changes are probably only the tip of the iceberg of changes necessary to make it work throughout ROOT.

I had no problems with spaces so far but as you say this is a ‘special’ character this was probably due to the fact that I use only a small fraction of ROOT functionality. Problems started with the ‘(’.

Regards,
Andreas Schömann

Hi,

Could you try installing ROOT in a path that does not include spaces (i.e. not in Program Files)?

Cheers,
Philippe

Hi Philippe, [quote=“pcanal”]Could you try installing ROOT in a path that does not include spaces (i.e. not in Program Files)?[/quote] He had tried and had confirmed

[quote=“ASchoemann”]Your advice works. [/quote] above. He did fix the issue for himself too

:blush: wrong thread.