Installation Guide for Beginners on Windows

A Novice’s Installation Experience on Windows.

While collaborating with my student on a Windows system, which I am not accustomed to, we successfully installed the latest version (6.22.06) following the instructions provided in:
Installing ROOT - ROOT

However, we encountered a delay in realizing that additional components needed to be installed in Visual Studio (I had assumed that the development tools were included with CMake).

I suggest incorporating the following instructions into the installation page or Dependencies - ROOT 2:
(In Visual Studio, navigate to the Tools menu => Get Tools and Features => Install the Desktop Development With C++ workload)
[found on msbuild - vcvarsall.bat missing after installing Visual Studio 2019 - Stack Overflow]

Best regards,
Vincent.

Please refer to tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code.

Please also fill in the fields below. Note that root -b -q will provide you with this information, and starting from version 6.28/06 upwards, you can call .forum bug from the ROOT prompt to pre-populate a topic.

ROOT Version: root6
Platform: Windows
Compiler: No idea…

Thanks fir the suggestion! @bellenot what do you think?

Hi, thanks, I’ll add the relevant information in the doc.

@zhilen111 looking at Dependencies - ROOT I see:

ROOT 6

• CMake (version >= 16.3)
  • Microsoft Visual C++ (ROOT6 requires at least Visual Studio 2019 version 16.1). The Community version is free, fully-featured for students, open-source contributors, and individuals. The Desktop Development With C++ workload is also needed. You can install it directly from the Visual Studio Installer

I.e. It clearly says: The Desktop Development With C++ workload is also needed. You can install it directly from the Visual Studio Installer
Is that enough, or should we explain the different ways to install it?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.