Install ROOT with specific python version on docker container

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: Any
Platform: Docker Ubuntu 22
Compiler: Cmake?

I want to install ROOT on an existing Ubuntu docker container.
I can use anaconda for this, but then when in the installed environment I don’t have access to the preinstalled packages.
To be more specific, I have pytorch installed without conda and I can’t access it while in the ROOT conda environment.

My question is, how I can install ROOT with a specific python version without using conda and without building from source.
With conda I can use

conda create -c conda-forge --name myenv root python=

Is there a similar alternative without conda?
Thank you.

The ROOT Team provides ready-to-use binary distributions for some systems (see “Download a pre-compiled binary distribution” therein), including various Ubuntu versions, which you just need to download and unpack.

For Ubuntu 22.04 / x86_64 / gcc 11.3: https://root.cern/download/?C=M;O=A;P=*[uU][bB][uU][nN][tT][uU]*22*

I am familiar with the precompiled versions, these come compatible with a specific python version.
I am looking to install root compatible to my existing python version.

You need to build ROOT from source (and configure and link it against your preferred python version).

In my question I specified that I don’t want to build from source, are you saying this is the only way without using conda?

My reason for not building from source is that I am using a docker container and the process described in your link is not working. Using conda does work but I want to install ROOT outside the conda environment.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.