Install Root on Windows

[code]C:\Users\andreas_2\Documents\andreas-diafora\rootb>cmake --build . --config Debug
Microsoft ® Build Engine version 12.0.31101.0
[Microsoft .NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.42000]
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

MSBUILD : error MSB1009: Project file does not exist.
Switch: ALL_BUILD.vcxproj[/code]

maybe msbuild needs to be configured/given the correct directions…?

p.s. ACLIC (5.34) can still have cxx11 if you build root with that option, as I have discovered in linux…
cmake-error.txt (9.96 KB)

Hi,

Oh, OK, I see the problem, this should have been fixed in the v5-34-00-patches branch.
Could you either use an older version of CMake (e.g. 3.1.0 or 3.2.2), or the top of v5-34-00-patches version of ROOT?

Cheers, Bertrand.

I ll give it a try with older cmake.

thanks bertrand

andreas

[quote=“avgenop”]I ll give it a try with older cmake.

thanks bertrand

andreas[/quote]

tried with cmake 3.2.2 and this problem persists. same error.

don’t know…

cheers
andreas

Do you still have the following error:

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND. Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files: ZLIB_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)

Hi,
I just meet a problem installing the version 5.34/36 on my windows 7 64bit.
I download the binary distributions with .exe for Windows Visual studio 2013. I just install the file but it’s failure with a information" Warning, Path too long installer unable to modify Path".
The only setting change is changing C:/ to D:/ . How can i solve it.

Sir, I want to install root software on windows 7.I am a very beignner to programming.i need a link to download the root software for windows 7 nd some tutorials for basics.awaits for ur reply

See this page:
root.cern.ch/content/release-53436

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi everybody! Excuse me, someone Knows if I it’s possible to install Root in Windows 10?

Greetings, Kevin

Yes, ROOT 5 only for the time being (just follow the link…)

Just so others who come across this topic know, it is possible to install ROOT 6 in a windows machine using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows). After the subsystem is installed you can follow the typical instructions for installing ROOT on a system such as Ubuntu.

1 Like

And now also the ROOT Docker container :wink:

1 Like

It’s required to have installed on your computer Windows Visual Studio?

Only if you want to build your own application or if you want to use ACLiC

For the WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) solution you can use gcc from the Ubuntu repositories.

For just make some data analysis and then make some histograms, or calculate the standard desviation ?

It depends what you need. The distributed binaries contain only a minimal set of external dependencies. If you have specific needs, then you can also build from source. Up to you.
The quickest thing to try is to just download a pre-built binary and try to use it…

Thanks you Bellenot! :smile:

1 Like

ooooooooo yeah …
thanks