Install Root on Windows

Hello all,

I would like to know haw can i install Root cern on windows.

Thanks!

Hi,

See this page, under the “Windows” paragraph. And don’t forget to read the “Important installation notes”

Cheers, Bertrand.

Tank you bellenot but i would like to compile the root cern with Cmake if it’s possible or Cygwin64.

Thanks!

Hi,

CMake is not supported on Cygwin, and I would advise to use ROOT natively on Windows anyway… Why do you want to use cygwin?

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hello bellenot
i configured root with Cmake . I found as you see in the picture that many libraries are not found.
Thank you for your help

Hi,

If the missing libraries are optional packages, and you don’t need them, then you can simply ignore them. Otherwise you have to install the missing packages on your system and set the corresponding entries in the CMake configuration dialog…And your screenshot doesn’t tell which error CMake is complaining about, so I can’t really help…

Cheers, Bertrand.

[quote=“bellenot”]Hi,

See this page, under the “Windows” paragraph. And don’t forget to read the “Important installation notes”

Cheers, Bertrand.[/quote]

Hi Bertrand,

I am currently trying to get Root working on my laptop with Windows 10 and I was curious to read the information from the link that you’ve posted. However, the link doesn’t seem to work anymore, could you maybe tell me where I can find this information?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Elianna

Hi Elianna,

Those pages don’t exist anymore, since we updated (and restructured) our site… We will add the information on the new pages, but for the time being, you can simply take the latest ROOT 5 (5/34.36) version from there: root.cern.ch/content/release-53436
Just select the binary matching the version of Visual Studio you have on your system, and don’t install ROOT in a directory containing spaces (e.g. not in “Program Files”)
Please let me know if you have any trouble installing it, or if something is not clear…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Is there any succeeding step needed after downloading the binary version? I am not sure whether I have a fully functional version right now, since I get several error messages when working my way through chapter 2 of the Primer (root.cern.ch/root/htmldoc/guide … r.html#f11) (I’ve checked one of them with another student who has installed ROOT on OS X and he does not get any errors for the same piece of code)

Hi Elianna,

You’re very welcome!

Well, there is nothing to do after installing ROOT. But there might well be some parts of the Primer being incompatible with ROOT 5 (there is no ROOT 6 for Windows). Could you tell me exactly what is failing? And which exact version you installed on your computer?

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

I’ve downloaded root_v5.34.36.win32.vc12.exe, and the first error I run into is in part 2.2 with these four lines:

root [0] using doubles = std::vector;
root [1] auto pVec = [](const doubles& v){for (auto&& x:v) cout << x << endl;};
root [2] doubles v{0,3,5,4,1,2};
root [3] pVec(v);

The first line ([0]) only seems to work when I delete the spaces before and after the ‘=’ sign, but then with the second line ([1]) I get this error:
Syntax Error: pVec=[](const doubles&v) (tmpfile)(1)

Hi Elianna,

This code can only be run in ROOT 6 (where the interpreter is a real C++ JIT compiler), and not with CINT (the core interpreter of ROOT 5)

Cheers, Bertrand.

Okay, that explains a lot. Too bad! Thank you again :slight_smile:

Hi Bertrand,

I’ve run into another error while trying out the code of macro1.C of section 3.2:

Error: Symbol nullptr is not defined in current scope

Do you maybe know if there exists an alternative for the nullpointer in ROOT 5?

NULL

Thank you ferhue, that works!

Good Afternoon,

I’ve installed root 5.34/36 on Windows 7 alongside Visual Studio 13.

Following the ‘ROOT Primer 5’ I hit several issues. Two were the same as elianna, regarding section 2.2 and I saw these are incompatible with ROOT 5.

For me the random number generation example also fails.

root [0] std::default_random_engine generator; gives the result

Error: Symbol default_random_engine generator is not defined in current scope (tmpfile)(1) Error: Invalid type 'default_random_engine' in declaration of 'generator' (tmpfile)(1) Error: Symbol default_random_engine generator is not defined in current scope (tmpfile)(1) *** Interpreter error recovered ***

I get the same error, particularly the ‘Symbol … is not defined’ for many commands.

Is there a part of the setup I might have missed? Perhaps to #include something?

Cheers, Tom

Hi,

Cheers, Bertrand.

hello,

trying to do this

cmake -G "Visual Studio 12" -Dcxx11=ON C:\Users\andreas_2\Documents\andreas-diafora\root53436source

compilation fails ad I have the cmake-log atteched.

Visual studio 12 express (free edition) 2013.
Am I doing something wrong?

CMakeOutput.txt (23.8 KB)
CMakeError.txt (21.6 KB)

Hi,

Try without “-Dcxx11=ON” (this is not an option in Visual Studio):

Cheers, Bertrand.