Install root on Lion

I have lion running on a new macbook pro.

I downloaded the most recent version and updated with with
svn co root.cern.ch/svn/root/branches/v5-30-00-patches root

I set the installation to macosx64

When I complied it, I got this error.

/Quest/root/net/rpdutils/src/rpdconn.cxx: In member function ‘int rpdconn::senddesc(int)’:
/Quest/root/net/rpdutils/src/rpdconn.cxx:398: error: size of array ‘buf’ is not an integral constant-expression
make: *** [net/rpdutils/src/rpdconn.o] Error 1

please help

Hi,

you did something wrong as the v5-30-00-patches trunk has the fix for the error you see, check the code at the specified line, it should be:

#ifdef R__MACOSX
char buf[sizeof(struct cmsghdr) + sizeof (myfds)];
#else
char buf[CMSG_SPACE(sizeof myfds)]; // ancillary data buffer
#endif

Anyway, we are releasing v5-30-01 which should work. Check for the announcement.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi all.

I’ve also had troubles building on Lion.

I was getting the following error:

bin/rmkdepend -R -fmisc/minicern/src/cernlib.d -Y -w 1000 – -m64 -pipe -Wshadow -W -Wall -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -pthread – /Users/adam/softwareDev/root/v5.30.01/misc/minicern/src/cernlib.c
gcc -O2 -m64 -pipe -Wshadow -W -Wall -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -pthread -o misc/minicern/src/cernlib.o -c /Users/adam/softwareDev/root/v5.30.01/misc/minicern/src/cernlib.c
gfortran -O2 -m64 -std=legacy -o misc/minicern/src/hbook.o -c /Users/adam/softwareDev/root/v5.30.01/misc/minicern/src/hbook.f
i686-apple-darwin10-gfortran-4.2.1: error trying to exec ‘f951’: execvp: No such file or directory

Using ‘homebrew’ I installed gfortran (which says is i686-apple-darwin11-gfortran-4.2.1 - note this says ‘darwin11’ while the XCode-provided compiler is ‘darwin10’) and it now compiles.

/usr/bin/gfortran – darwin10 version provided by Apple
/usr/local/bin/gfortran --darwin11 version I got from homebrew

Homebrew installs into /usr/local by default, so I had to run ./configure using the option --with-f77=/usr/local/bin/gfortran.

I just wanted to share and see if anybody else is having this problem.

Or perhaps there is a different solution to this compile error.

Adam

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I’m running ROOT v5.30.01 on Mac OS 10.7.1

Hi,

where did you get /usr/bin/gfortran from. Apple does not ship gfortran, so it must be a remnant from 10.6. The exexvp failure is typically a sign of incorrect installation. I myself use:

(proof) [179] gfortran -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gfortran
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/sw/lib/gcc4.6/libexec/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin11.0.0/4.6.1/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.0.0
Configured with: …/gcc-4.6.1/configure --prefix=/sw --prefix=/sw/lib/gcc4.6 --mandir=/sw/share/man --infodir=/sw/lib/gcc4.6/info --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,lto,objc,obj-c++,java --with-gmp=/sw --with-libiconv-prefix=/sw --with-ppl=/sw --with-cloog=/sw --with-mpc=/sw --with-system-zlib --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib --program-suffix=-fsf-4.6 --enable-cloog-backend=isl
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.6.1 (GCC)

from Fink which works fine.

Cheers, Fons.

I can’t remember where I got it.

Perhaps from here: r.research.att.com/tools/

this is the same location from where homebrew downloads and installs gfortran.

Did you make it using gfortran from Fink ?
B.