Install ROOT-Externals Using CVMFS

Hello,

I’m trying to install ROOT6 (6.08/02) on a SLC6 system for a project using TMVA. Part of the instructions include sourcing ROOT externals as follows:

source /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT-externals/ROOT-latest/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/setup.sh

I don’t have AFS on the target computer, but I do have CVMFS. According to [1], there should be a way to access this via CVMFS. However, I can’t find the equivalent directory structure and files under ‘/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/’. The closest I see is ‘/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT-externals/ROOT-20151102/’, which is empty. Where should I be looking instead?

Thank you

[1] root.cern.ch/how/how-setup-root … s-afscvmfs

Hi,

for the informations relative to the usage of central installation, you can always refer to this page root.cern/content/release-60802 .

To get ROOT for SLC6, you can rely on the LCG views, the most complete installation you can get of ROOT and several other packages:

source /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_87/x86_64-slc6-gcc62-opt/setup.sh 

Cheers,
D

To complement Danilo’s. An LCG view contains all the externals and ROOT itself. If what you want is just the ROOT externals is better just to use a partial view:

source /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/ROOT-latest/x86_64-slc6-gcc62-opt/setup.csh

I have updated the HowTo to include the CVMFS location. Thanks for reporting it.
Cheers,
Pere

Much appreciated, thank you!