Install root 6.22 on ubuntu 20.04

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: 6.22
_Platform:_ubuntu 20.04
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi all,
I have been trying to build root 6.22 from source file by following instructions on https://root.cern/install/build_from_source/. I tried including python2 and python3 also. When I am building using cmake, I get this error. Can you please help?

This is a screenshot of the error I see…

Hi @amkoshy,
and welcome to the ROOT forum!
Can you please copy-paste the content of those files mentioned in the error message? The XROOTD-build-*-.log.

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi @eguiraud ,
These are the screen shots of the err and out(only the last few lines since there were no issues in the beginning) log files. Hope this helps, please let me know if you need more information.

Ah, yes, this is https://sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-10906 .

Please install the openssl-dev package or, if you don’t need xrootd (i.e. reading ROOT files over the network), configure your build with -Dxrootd=OFF -Dbuiltin_xrootd=OFF.

Cheers,
Enrico

It worked!!Thank you so much @eguiraud
I have few related questions…

1. I have installed ubuntu 20.04 on windows 10 from the windows 10 app store. Can I install root 6.22 on that ubuntu too?
  2. I tried installing root on my windows computer, but did not work out. Is root 6.22 supported for windows 10 also?
    thanks again,
    Abraham

Good!

1. yes, some resources here and here (but it should not be that much different than an installation on actual ubuntu, besides maybe the fact you need Xming as an X11 server)

2. there is experimental support, see e.g. the 6.22 release page – we test ROOT on windows and a large part of the features work. It would be great if you could open another forum topic about the difficulties you had with windows

Cheers,
Enrico

Okay…I will do that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.