Install ROOT 6.10.00 on Ubuntu 16.04.4

ROOT Version (e.g. 6.12/02): 6.10.00
Platform, compiler (e.g. CentOS 7.3, gcc6.2): Ubuntu 16.04.4

Hi,
I am trying to install ROOT for the first time on Ubuntu and I am running into some problems.
I unpacked sources and then did
cmake -Dfortran=ON /home/valluk/ROOT/root-6.10.00
and then cmake --build .

I get next error:
[ 54%] Linking CXX executable src/rootcling_stage1
…/dictgen/CMakeFiles/Dictgen.dir/src/rootcling_impl.cxx.o: file not recognized: File truncated
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
core/rootcling_stage1/CMakeFiles/rootcling_stage1.dir/build.make:213: recipe for target ‘core/rootcling_stage1/src/rootcling_stage1’ failed
make[2]: *** [core/rootcling_stage1/src/rootcling_stage1] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:14695: recipe for target ‘core/rootcling_stage1/CMakeFiles/rootcling_stage1.dir/all’ failed
make[1]: *** [core/rootcling_stage1/CMakeFiles/rootcling_stage1.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:149: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

It is my first attempt to fully switch to Ubuntu, so it would be really helpful if someone could provide a solution guide for beginners.

Thanks!

Please note that the ROOT Team provides ready to use binary distributions and the “Ubuntu 16 gcc5.4" is one of the supported systems.

Did you restart an interrupted build? Or maybe you ran out of disk space? The problem is that an output file is truncated for some reason. Please restart with a fresh build.

Does it have a Fortran support? Because I was not sure. It is not one of the basic configurations.

I tried to do a fresh build. Nothing was interrupt and I still have 20 Gb on my disk (I am not sure if it is enough). I have next error now:

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:140400: Error: unknown pseudo-op: `.cfi_def_cfa_of'
{standard input}: Error: open CFI at the end of file; missing .cfi_endproc directive
c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-5/README.Bugs> for instructions.
interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/build.make:566: recipe for target 'interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/SemaDeclAttr.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/SemaDeclAttr.cpp.o] Error 4
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:9692: recipe for target 'interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/Sema/CMakeFiles/clangSema.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:149: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)

The error above is from your compiler, not from ROOT. Maybe you ran out of memory and the process was killed? Please provide more information about your toolchain. All I can say with the information you provided is that the problem seems to be with your compiler and/or system configuration and not ROOT itself.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.