Inquiry about TBrowser Interactive GUI

Dear ROOTers,

In my ROOT usage I encountered many times situations where say 10 different histograms need to be compared, but having them all displayed in a canvas at the same time would clutter up the canvas and not allow comparing them efficiently. Currently what I need to do to effectively compare all 10 histograms is to change the macro with which the canvas is created to draw only a few histograms at a time and change that in permutations until I have compared all 10 histograms with each other.

In contrast, an ability to draw only a few of all histograms stored in the canvas at a time, and change that subset interactively, would greatly enhance efficiency of getting all information out of the 10 initial histograms and how they compare.

The current default of drawing a TCanvas stored in a TFile is to draw all objects attached to that canvas (histograms, graphs, legends, lines etc). I wanted to ask if there is an existing extension (or if not, maybe that extension could be added) to the TBrowser application which displays a list of all objects in the active TPad of a canvas. The extension would display all objects, one per line, with a checkbox next to each object. Once a checkbox is checked/unchecked by the user, the TPad would redraw or update and only display the selected objects.

Such an extension would speed up my work by a lot- it would be great if someone could look into this.

Thank you very much,

Best regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,

That could even probably be done by a simple macro, and then used as a plugin by the browser. I’ll see what we can do (I hope this is not urgent), or if you already have a macro, we could try to use it…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I agree that it should not be too difficult to create that extension- it’s not urgent, that thought just kept on coming up (: .

Thanks for looking into this!

Cheers,
Martin