Inherent problem with installing ROOT (v6-16-00) on macOS Mojave due to unicode

Dear experts,

I have been trying to install ROOT on macOS by cloning the ROOT repository, checking out the v6-16-00 branch and then using CMake in accordance with the recommendations. The compilation failed around 74% due to the following message:
/opt/local/include/unicode/ucnv.h:52:10: fatal error: ‘unicode/ucnv_err.h’ file not found
#include “unicode/ucnv_err.h”

After some investigation it turns out that all files under /opt/local/include/unicode/*.h
have include commands of the form:
#include “unicode/.h”
and this causes the compilation break. The work around is that all such lines in all header files must be replaced with:
#include “/opt/local/include/unicode/.h” ?

Is this issue expected and known? This surely must affect all Mac users, right? Is there a specific flag or version recommended for Mac users?

Thank you,
Alexandros

_ROOT Version: v6-16-00
_Platform: macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
_Compiler: CMake

It seems whatever package installed files with #include "unicode/.h" failed somewhere to add the proper filename. This is likely a problem in Homebrew, given the paths you are showing, and the package could be libxml2, but that’s just a guess.

I don’t actually use homebrew. Unless I am mistaken these are the system-default files.

/opt/local does not exist in a fresh install of MacOS. I just logged into our test node to check. Only /opt/X11 exists, because we have XQuartz installed. It must come from some other package manager, like fink, macports, homebrew, etc. In any case, this is surely not a problem with ROOT. Cheers,

I have indeed used macports to install some additional packages. So that surely is the culprit then. Anyway, thank you for clarifying.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.