Index out of bounds on TMatrixDSym using RDataFrame in PyRoot

Hello, I am getting an error when trying to fill a TMatrixDSym in a .Define() in RDataFrames in PyRoot. The error is just the following two lines over and over:

Error in <operator=>: matrices not compatible
Error in <TMatrixTRow_const(const TMatrixTSym &,Int_t)>: row index out of bounds

However, the program finishes running after the errors print.
Here is a reproducer for the error:

import ROOT

fullname = "root:path_to_a_root_file"

tname = "my_tree's_name"

mystring= \
'''
TArrayD array(9);   
for (int i=0; i<nTracks; i++) { 
    for (int j=0; j<3; j++) {
        for (int k=0; k<3; k++) {
            array[j+3*k] += Momenta.at(i).at(j)*Momenta.at(i).at(k)/(sqrt(Tracks[i].Mag2())*Denominator);
        }
    }
} 
TMatrixDSym s(3, array.GetArray());
return s;
'''
dFrame= ROOT.ROOT.RDataFrame(tname, fullname).Define("nTracks", "Tracks.size()") \
        .Filter("nTracks > 0") \
        .Define("CutHT", "double cutht=0; for (int i=0; i<Jets.size(); i++) if (Jets[i].Pt()>30 and abs(Jets[i].eta())<2.4) cutht+=Jets[i].Pt(); return cutht") \
        .Filter("CutHT>500") \
        .Define("Momenta", "vector<vector<double>> p; for (int i=0; i<nTracks; i++) {p.emplace_back(); p[i].push_back(Tracks[i].x()); p[i].push_back(Tracks[i].y()); p[i].push_back(Tracks[i].z());} return p;") \
        .Define("Denominator", "double denom=0; for (int i=0; i<nTracks; i++) denom += sqrt(Tracks[i].Mag2()); return denom;") \
        .Define("SphericityTensor", mystring) \
        .Define("Val", "return (SphericityTensor[0][0])") \

model = ROOT.RDF.TH1DModel("Val", "Val", 50, -1000., 1000.)
hist = dFrame.Histo1D(model, "Val")

can = ROOT.TCanvas("canName", "canTitle")
file = ROOT.TFile('reproducerHists', 'RECREATE')
hist.Write()

I defined mystring separately so that it’s syntax is more clear because I think that is probably where the problem is. I can’t find anything that would cause an index to be out of bounds, though. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: Not Provided
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi @bthornbe ,
ah this is tricky, here’s what I think is happening.
When you do return s, RDF tries to assign s to a variable that stores the result of your computation for that entry. Initially, that variable will be a default-constructed TMatrixDSym.
Unfortunately, however, it is not possible to assign a TMatrixDSym with a certain shape to a TMatrixDSym with another shape!

So basically this happens:

~ root -l
root [0] TMatrixDSym rdf_var; // this is the internal RDF variable, default-constructed
root [1] TMatrixDSym s(3, 4); // this is your `s`
root [2] rdf_var = s // does not work!
Error in <operator=>: matrices not compatible

So you can’t just return s. Maybe @moneta can suggest what to use instead.

Cheers,
Enrico

1 Like

What is the default constructor of TMatrixDSym? I am struggling to find clear documentation on it.

It’s what you get if you call TMatrixDSym m; – it constructs an empty matrix (zero rows and zero columns). The problem is that assigning another non-empty TMatrixDSym to an empty matrix is an error, so I am not sure TMatrixDSym can be used as the result of a Define.

1 Like

eguiraud was right about the cause of the problem, and I’m going to post my workaround in case anyone else finds this thread while searching for a solution to a similar problem. The reason I wanted SphericityTensor in the form of a TMatrixDSym was that I wanted to use TMatrixDSymEigen to find its eigenvalues. For that reason, the reproducer below has different output in order to show how the workaround works.

Instead of returning a TMatrixDSym in the definition of SphericityTensor, I am returning a 2-d c++ vector, and then I make a TMatrixDSym out of that vector within the definition of EigenVals. TVectorD appears to have the same type of issue with the default constructor, so I also have a loop in that definition that takes the output of TMatrixDSymEigen.GetEigenValues() from a TVectorD and puts it in a c++ vector.

import ROOT

fullname = "root:path_to_a_root_file"

tname = "my_tree's_name"

tensorString = \
    '''
    vector<vector<double>> s{{0,0,0},{0,0,0},{0,0,0}};    
    for (int i=0; i<nTracks; i++) 
    { 
        for (int j=0; j<3; j++) 
        {
            for (int k=0; k<3; k++) 
            {
                s.at(j).at(k) += Momenta.at(i).at(j)*Momenta.at(i).at(k)/(sqrt(Tracks[i].Mag2())*Denominator);
            }
        }
    } 
    return s;
    '''
eigenString = \
'''
double a[9];
for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++)
{
    for (int j = 0; j < 3; j++)
    {
        a[i+3*j] = SphericityTensor.at(i).at(j);
    }
}
TMatrixDSym s(3, a);
TMatrixDSymEigen eigen(s); 
TVectorD eigenVals = eigen.GetEigenValues();
vector <double> eigenVals2;
for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++)
{
        eigenVals2.push_back(eigenVals[i]);
}
return eigenVals2;
'''

dFrame= ROOT.ROOT.RDataFrame(tname, fullname).Define("nTracks", "Tracks.size()") \
        .Filter("nTracks > 0") \
        .Define("CutHT", "double cutht=0; for (int i=0; i<Jets.size(); i++) if (Jets[i].Pt()>30 and abs(Jets[i].eta())<2.4) cutht+=Jets[i].Pt(); return cutht") \
        .Filter("CutHT>500") \
        .Define("Momenta", "vector<vector<double>> p; for (int i=0; i<nTracks; i++) {p.emplace_back(); p[i].push_back(Tracks[i].x()); p[i].push_back(Tracks[i].y()); p[i].push_back(Tracks[i].z());} return p;") \
        .Define("Denominator", "double denom=0; for (int i=0; i<nTracks; i++) denom += sqrt(Tracks[i].Mag2()); return denom;") \
        .Define("SphericityTensor", tensorString) \
        .Define("EigenVals", eigenString) \
        .Define("NewVal", "return (EigenVals[0])")

model = ROOT.RDF.TH1DModel("NewVal", "NewVal", 50, -1000., 1000.)
hist = dFrame.Histo1D(model, "NewVal")

can = ROOT.TCanvas("canName", "canTitle")
file = ROOT.TFile('reproducerHists', 'RECREATE')
hist.Write()
1 Like

Hi,
Given the fact you can early build a TMatrix or a TVector from a simple C array or std::vector, I would use them to return your data values, and then build the TMatric,TVector from those

Cheers

Lorenzo

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.