How to set the proton beam

I am planning to simulate the situation that the laser proton pulse beam passing through the gas ionization chamber,our laser proton pulse beam is emitted once a second, the proton particle number is from 10^7 to 10^9, with the pulse width about 2 to 5 nanosecond.
But when I set the constexpr unsigned int nTracks = 2000000; the warning would be like this plot below, I think it must be overflow setting.

So how should I set the number of the proton to be approximately 10^7 and even more,
besides how should I set the time of the proton generated, once a second 10^7 protons come, and like this over a period of time. number

Hi,
when initialising TrackTrim you load a text file that contains the coordinates and energies of a number of tracks that you previously simulated using TRIM. TrackTrim then iterates through this list of tracks (i. e. every time you call NewTrack, it moves to the next track in the list). When it arrives at the end of the list, it goes back to the first track. This is when you get the message “Rewinding”.

Regarding your second question, instead of simulating 10^7 tracks I would strongly recommend that you calculate the signal using a smaller number of tracks and then scale the signal according to the number of primary projectiles.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your help and patiently explanation, So the EXYZ.txt file already fix all the tracks, no matter how I change the number of the protons injected, the track will just always rewinding those tracks again and again, is that right? That’s why I found that even though I added on order of magnitudes protons, the average number of the ion/electron pairs would almost the same. So the result is wrong ,is that right? the more protons ,the more collisions. So as to this situation , what should I do

how to scale the signal according to the number of primary projectiles? just multiply by a coefficient?
If I set the number to 10^4, while actually I want 10^7, so I just multiply the final result by 10^3?
But it seems not to consider about the various effects that the relationship won’t be linear .

That’s true. But this is not a problem you can solve by simulating more tracks. The methods for simulating charge deposition and electron/ion transport in Garfield++ do not take space charge or other collective effects into account.

HI,
Thanks a lot for your reply and kindly help.
So that means I can’t use Garfield++ to simulate the complicated effects such as recombination effect, space charge and etc. right?

Correct.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.