How to merge RDataFrames or append to a TTree in a file with RDataFrames in pyROOT

ROOT Version: 6.26/10

Hi all,
I’m not sure if it is currently possible to do this, but I would like to be able to combine multiple RDataFrames into one, or at least write multiple RDataFrames into one file. eg for combining multiple TTrees into one:

snapshot_options = ROOT.RDF.RSnapshotOptions()
snapshot_options.fMode = "Update"

for tree in ['tree1', 'tree2', 'tree3']:
    Rdf = ROOT.RDataFrame(tree, 'myfile.root')
    Rdf.Snapshot("outTree", "out.root", ["branch1", "branch2"], snapshot_options)

This doesn’t work as it prompts me to make a new TTree instead of appending to the current TTree.

I’ve found a similar question without using dataframes: Append data to an existing TTree (with Branches)

Hi @kghorban ,

it’s not possible to merge RDataFrames.

What is possible is reading multiple trees into a single RDataFrame, as a vertical concatenation (a “chain”: same columns, concatenation of rows) or horizontal concatenation (a main tree plus “friends”: same number of rows, union of columns).

For example after your 3 Snapshots above you can read them in all trees in a chain with:

TChain c;
for t in ['tree1', 'tree2', 'tree3']:
  c.Add(f"myfile.root/{t}")
df= ROOT.RDataFrame(c)

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi thanks for the reply @eguiraud. I am used to using pandas dataframes in python and this really helped me reframe my thinking when it comes to RDataFrames

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.