How to draw histograms in colz text e

Hi all,

I am new in root, sorry in advance if my questions seems basic to you. I want to get a 1D histogram from a .root file and draw it in a colz text e. But the problem is i donot know how to make these boxes of any rang. Like in x-axis i want a box range of {0,10,30,60,100,200} where in y-axis {0,1,1.6,2,2.4,3}.
Kindly help me to do it as soon as possible. I am attaching a sample plot taken from internet.

Thank you.
Adi

sample

Hi Adi,

what is a “box range of {0,10,30,60,100,200} where in y-axis {0,1,1.6,2,2.4,3}” ? In 2D, to draw a rectangle, I would expect 4 x,y coordinates.

cheers,
D

Hi dpiparo,

I want to plot a 2D histogram in colz text e. Where these values are x axis limits and y axis limits. Sample plot is attached below

The boxes means 20-40 in x axis and 0-1 in y axis.

Hi,

there is a constructor to achieve that: https://root.cern.ch/doc/master/classTH2F.html#a94c487e4997c33b59b9ea69a8e74ad26

cheers,
D

Hi D,

Constructor only changes the x-axis in one bin i mean let 0-20. similarly in y. I want to change x in 5 different bin sizes.

Hi,

I do not understand the statement. You can pass the bin edges you need to the constructor, can’t you?

Cheers,
D

Hi D,

I am sending you these few lines. Hope so it will make easy for you understand it.

TFile *f1 = new TFile("merge.root");
TH2F *h2 = (TH2F*)gDirectory->Get("pt_eta");
   double bins_x[] = {10, 20, 40, 70, 100,200};
  double bins_y[] = {0, 1, 1.5, 2.5,3};
TH2F *h2 = new TH2F("h2", "pteta",(sizeof(bins_x) / sizeof(double) - 1), bins_x, (sizeof(bins_y) / sizeof(double) - 1), bins_y);
h2->Draw(colz text e);

What i am doing is this. It will draw the the plot like posted above. But it is not drawing like the above mensioned plot. How would I achieve this.

Hi,

I am not sure I get it. h2 seems to be empty.

Cheers,
D

Then how would I can do it? Can someone else help me to do it. I need to it urgently.

Hi,

you created an empty histogram, you need to fill it with the content you would like to display.

Cheers,
D

Hi D,

Of course i will fill the histogram with some data. All I want to know is how I can write the command to make such a histogram.

Hi,

the command you have is correct. The issue is that presently your histogram is empty.

Cheers,
D

You need to use the “correct” binning when you create and fill your “pt_eta” histogram, the one that is stored in your “merge.root” file (and check if it is a TH2F or a TH2D).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.