How to build on MacOSX?

Hi

I’m having to build ROOT (5.13/04) for PyROOT support. On the root manual,

[quote]$ ./configure [–with-python-incdir=][–with-python-libdir=>dir>]
For details on see the official build pages, the Python include directory should point to the directory that
contains Python.h and the library directory should point to the directory containing libpythonx.y.so, where
’x’ and ‘y’ are the major and minor version number, respectively. [/quote]

and I found that my Python.h is under
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/python2.3/Python.h

but couldn’t locate libpythonx.y.so. Where is the likely place to find it? Is there any other configuration flags necessary on MacOSX?

I’m using OSX 10.4.8 on Intel Core Duo.

Thank you for your help
Akira

Akira,

your python binary on MacOSX is called “Python” and resides under: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3.

However, if you use the standard binary from any of the framework places (so either the system one, as you’ve done here, or a newer, local install), it will be found automatically, so you do not need to specify the directories. Did you try this? Did it work?

On MacOSX, if you install with any of the non-framework packagers, such as e.g. fink, which require that you do specify the locations, you will have a libpythonx.y.so.

Cheers,
Wim

Hi Wim,

Thank you, I tried with
./configure --enable-python

and make. Everything worked fine. I think the documentation is looking unnecessarily complicated!

Cheers
Akira