How to build a stand alone EVE application?

Dear rooters,

is there any example showing how to build a stand alone EVE application? Seems everything in tutorials/eve has to be run in ROOT interactive session.

There is a nice chapter in ROOT users’ manual showing how to build up a basic GUI: root.cern.ch/download/doc/25WritingGUI.pdf Is there anything similar for EVE?

Cheers, Jing

Dear Jing,

In principle you just need to write your own main function and call TEveManager::Create() before you call TApplication::Run(). See example from alieve main function:
alisoft.cern.ch/viewvc/trunk/EVE … ot=AliRoot

The important parts:

#include <TRint.h>
#include <TEveManager.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  // Use TApplication if you don't need prompt.
  TRint  *app = new TRint("App", &argc, argv);

// See arguments to Create() and constructor -- you can choose not to show the window
  // or some GUI parts.
  TEveManager::Create();

// Create custom GUI, if needed.

app->Run(kTRUE);
  // Pass kFALSE if you want application to terminate by itself.
  // Then you just need "return 0;" below (to avoid compiler warnings).

// Optionally shutdown eve here (not really needed):
  // TEveManager::Terminate();
  app->Terminate(0);
  return 0;
}

Good luck!
Matevz

Dear Matevz,

thank you very much! I succeeded creating my own stand alone EVE application with your help. Just a bit detail: I had to add by hand -lGeom -lEve -lGed -lRGL -lEG -lTreePlayer to the output of root-config -glibs to compile the program. Is it possible to get the list automatically?

Cheers, Jing

Dear Jing,

At the moment there is no such option to root-config … I will ask Fons to add option -evelibs returning the needed libraries. Thanks for your suggestion!

Best,
Matevz

Hi, Matevz,

that would be nice. Thank you!

Cheers, Jing

[quote=“matevz”]

// See arguments to Create() and constructor -- you can choose not to show the window // or some GUI parts. TEveManager::Create(); [/quote]

Dear Matevz,

I tried to use TEveManager::Create(kTRUE,“FV”) to disable command-line part of the GUI. That part did disappear, but it didn’t give up the space it occupied: where it was became an empty space, the 3D viewer did not take that space.

Is it a way to tell the 3D viewer to take that empty space?

Thanks, Jing

Dear Jing,

I added a function to completely hide the bottom tab:
gEve->GetBrowser()->HideBottomTab();
so just call this after TEveManager::Create().

Best,
Matevz

Hi, Matevz,

I got it from SVN. Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Jing

Hi Jing,

Fons also added the --evelibs option to configure just now :slight_smile:
You will need to reconfigure your build, i.e. run:
build/unix/reconfigure.sh
or run configure manually.

Cheers,
Matevz

So cool, no wonder why ROOT is widely used. Cheers, Jing

What’s the current command for telling configure to include the eve libs in the root-config --glibs output? Doing ./configure --evelibs or ./configure --with-evelibs says invalid option, and I don’t see a reference to eve anywhere in the online guide or in ./configure --help.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi,

Use “[color=#0000FF]root-config --evelibs[/color]” instead of “root-config --glibs”

Cheers, Bertrand.

Nice - thanks Bertrand!

Hi Matevz.

Thanks for the useful information on how to create a stand-alone EVE application.

Following your recipe I was able to convert the histobrowser.C example to a standalone program. I still have a problem: the example creates a couple of macros with this syntax:

m = new TMacro;
   m->AddLine("{ g_hlt_canvas->Clear();"
              "  g_hlt_canvas->cd();"
              "  g_hlt_canvas->Update(); }");
   m->SetName("Clear Canvas");

followed by

gEve->GetBrowser()->StartEmbedding(1);
   g_hlt_canvas = new TCanvas;
   gEve->GetBrowser()->StopEmbedding("HLT Canvas");

When I try to use them from the EVE window I get the following error:

Error: Symbol g_hlt_canvas is not defined in current scope  /tmp/daq/Split Canvas.CaOh6la:1:
Error: Failed to evaluate g_hlt_canvas->Clear()
*** Interpreter error recovered ***

I understand that the macro interpreter does not know about g_hlt_canvas. Of course this does not happen when I execute histobrowser.C interactively. What is the right way to define these macros in a stand alone EVE program?

Thanks

Emanuele

Hi,

Well, the interpreter must know the symbols you’re using, there’s no way around that. You can:[ul]
[li] export variables, like this: github.com/root-mirror/root/blo … t.cxx#L957[/li]
[li] call functions from your macro and implement all handling in the compiled code[/li][/ul]

Cheers,
Matevz