How relevant can the overflow bin be?

I am doing a simulation that, among other things, should reproduce real life data. The real life data is from the publication Measurement of transverse momentum relative to dijet systems in PbPb and pp collisions at √sNN = 2.76.

Anyway, they start getting data from some particles and put it into histograms, but they only want particles with 0.5<pT<300 AND a variable delta which is made of other quantities, <1.8. So far so good.

Then they mention that if a particle has pT>300 ADN delta>3.6 it should go into the overflow bin.

Now, my simulation isn’t working, it doesn’t reproduce the results of that publication, which casts doubts in my other results. I’ve shown it to other people and no one is able to find a mistake, which is driving me crazy, I think it may be that Pythia simply isn’t tuned for this, but they insisted me that there is a mistake, hacen the overflow bin.

Can the contents of the overflow bin affect somehow te contents of the rest of the histogram?, they never mention it again, but they are so explicit as to the data that goes int there, that I suspect maybe they use it, and that would explain why I can’t reproduce the results.

I know it’s possible to get the data from the overflow bin, but they never say that they do that, so maybe it has some effect by simply being there even if it’s not explicitly used.

Would that makes sense?, I’m desperate

Well, they maybe scale / normalize histograms using their number of entries and/or integrals and these entities may include under/over-flow bins. These entities will also be influenced if they fill histograms with weights.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.