How about native display support under MacOS X?

I’m using ROOT under MacOS X (PPC) with Apple X11. Sometimes, I think about the native display support of ROOT. I think, it is possible to use Carbon APIs with quartz to re-implement the display under X11. But I’m not able to implement such a mission. GNUplot under MacOS X also supports X11 and native display using AquaTerm. Maybe, there are alternative ways to implement native display. I hope somebody is interested in this and do something.
:slight_smile:

[quote]I’m using ROOT under MacOS X (PPC) with Apple X11. Sometimes, I think about the native display support of ROOT. I think, it is possible to use Carbon APIs with quartz to re-implement the display under X11. But I’m not able to implement such a mission. GNUplot under MacOS X also supports X11 and native display using AquaTerm. Maybe, there are alternative ways to implement native display. I hope somebody is interested in this and do something.
:slight_smile:[/quote]

Yes, you are right. I was interested in this :slight_smile:

MacOS X has very rich and powerful API - Carbon, Quartz etc… Carbon is only a small part - it’s mainly responsible for windows/controls management.
With MacOS X API ROOT can have very nice and modern hardware accelerated 2d/3d graphic - almost “for free”.

But there are several problems (at least for me) :

1. I do not want to use Cocoa and Obj-C. Fons has opposite opinion :slight_smile:)
  2. With ROOT’s GUI architecture we cannot have these nice native controls.
  3. Motivation. AFAIK You are the first ROOT’s user, who asked about this :slight_smile:
  4. Incoming Leopard. Apple can change things seriously.
  5. API. Mac is nice for user, but it’s a real nightmare for developer - it has several partially intersecting APIs, and, unfortunatly, you cannot work with only one of them, you need to mix them. Look at their Cocoa programms - they have ugly mixture of Cocoa, Obj-C and C, Carbon and Quartz etc.
  6. Do you want to help me write this port? :slight_smile:)

[quote=“exaos”]I’m using ROOT under MacOS X (PPC) with Apple X11. Sometimes, I think about the native display support of ROOT. I think, it is possible to use Carbon APIs with quartz to re-implement the display under X11. But I’m not able to implement such a mission. GNUplot under MacOS X also supports X11 and native display using AquaTerm. Maybe, there are alternative ways to implement native display. I hope somebody is interested in this and do something.
:slight_smile:[/quote]Native display is supported by Qt-layer for ROOT (assuming you installed the Qt on Mac with the native support) See: root.bnl.gov

See ROOT 2005 Workshop
indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay … Id=a055638
"QScan: a QtROOT based software for events reconstruction in Lar detectors " slide 9.
indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access … Id=a055638

There is no need to waste your time. This job had been done by TrollTech a while ago. Just use it, it is free.

no need to waste your time in suppressing somebody’s enthusiasm :slight_smile:

[quote=“Valeriy Onuchin”][quote]
There is no need to waste your time
[/quote]

no need to waste your time in suppressing somebody’s enthusiasm :slight_smile:[/quote]Very likely you misunderstood :frowning: something.
The original question was

[quote=“exaos”]Maybe, there are alternative ways to implement native display[/quote]The answer, “Yes, such way does exist”!!!
Why do think it is discouraging?

I do encourage :exclamation: all (especially Mac OS enthusiasts) on the Earth

1. Use :bulb: both great ROOT as well as the great Mac OS native interface right now!!!
    Do not wait, move on. There is no reason to wait. If you have any concrete question / trouble whatsoever send me an E-mail.

2.I understand you found my point is strong enough to suppress :open_mouth: one’s enthusiasm of reinventing the wheel. Fortunately, there are plenty of things on the Earth waiting for the enthusiast but wheel. Alas, there are very few ROOT applications with the native Mac interface to share. It is a pity :cry: . I think it is not me it is the complexity of the task [quote=“tpochep”]5. API. Mac is nice for user, but it’s a real nightmare for developer[/quote] that has been suppresing the Mac enthusiast to use the ROOT with the native display. What I said, “Do not afraid. It is not trouble, it is easy.” Let’s do them.
Why do you think such answer reduces :unamused: the number of the MAC users?