Help with installing root from source on macos 10.5

Hi,

I not able to install root version 5.22.00 from source on macos v 10.5.6

I have tried two ways one using default guess of the ./configure, which was maxos64. This gave me error of incompatibility with python.
---------------------cut--------------------------------------
bin/rmkdepend -R -fbindings/pyroot/src/python64.d -Y -w 1000 – -m64 -pipe -W -Wall -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -D_REENTRANT -pthread -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 – bindings/pyroot/src/python64.c
gcc -O2 -m64 -pipe -W -Wall -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -D_REENTRANT -pthread -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 -o bindings/pyroot/src/python64.o -c bindings/pyroot/src/python64.c
gcc -O2 -m64 -bind_at_load -o bin/python64 bindings/pyroot/src/python64.o
-L/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/config -lpython2.6
ld: warning in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/config/libpython2.6.a, missing required architecture x86_64 in file
Undefined symbols:
"_Py_Main", referenced from:
_main in python64.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/python64] Error 1
rm core/utils/src/RStl_tmp.cxx core/utils/src/rootcint_tmp.cxx
-----------------------------------------end-cut------------------------------------

However, when I have tried to configure it for non 64 bit version by giving ./configure command option macosx, “make” gave me the following error.

-------------------------------cut----------------------------------------------
ld: warning in cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.o, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning in cint/cint/src/dict/longif3.o, file is not of required architecture
Undefined symbols:
"_G__cpp_setupG__stream", referenced from:
_G__pragma in pragma.o
"_main", referenced from:
start in crt1.10.5.o
"_G__unredirectcerr", referenced from:
_G__process_cmd in pause.o
"_G__unredirectcout", referenced from:
"_G__redirectcerr", referenced from:
"_G__redirectcout", referenced from:
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [cint/cint/main/cint_tmp] Error 1
--------------------------------end-cut-------------------------------------

Could you please tell me what is the right way of installing root on my version of macos.

thank you,

Dmitry.

Use fink.

Hi,

you need to run make distclean after changing fundamental configuration options like e.g. the platform. Did you do that?

Cheers, Axel.

Hi,

you seem to have installed an newer version of Python (Apple default is 2.5) which does not have the x86-64 architecture. So now you have to build either Python 2.6 for x86-64, or ROOT for x86. The last you tried, but after the configure you forgot to do a “make distclean” to remove parts of the previous build.

Cheers, Fons.

Thank you :slight_smile: . I did not know about make distclean. It seems to be installing quite happily now, after I ran it.

Cheers,

Dmitry.

Hi
I seem to have a similar problem when installing on a macos X 10.5. after
./configure macosx
and make -j2 (or make which gives the same)

I get

In file included from cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.cxx:7:
cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.h:30:20: error: iostrm.h: No such file or directory
cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.h:31:19: error: fstrm.h: No such file or directory
cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.h:32:19: error: sstrm.h: No such file or directory
cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.h:33:21: error: linkdef.h: No such file or directory
cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.h:67: error: expected initializer before ‘<’ token
cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.h:68: error: expected initializer before ‘<’ token
ci

… and lots of errors ending in:

cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.cxx:4299: warning: ‘void G__setup_memfuncbasic_ostringstreamlEcharcOchar_traitslEchargRcOallocatorlEchargRsPgR()’ defined but not used
cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.cxx:4313: warning: ‘void G__setup_memfuncbasic_stringstreamlEcharcOchar_traitslEchargRcOallocatorlEchargRsPgR()’ defined but not used
make: *** [cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
ask-emil-jensens-macbook:root ask$

Any help will be most appreciated

Regards

Ask

Which version of ROOT do you try to build? Try the trunk, make sure full Xcode is installed and try again.

Cheers, Fons.

the ROOT version is from the newest PRO source
ftp://root.cern.ch/root/root_v5.22.00.source.tar.gz

I’m not sure I have the full xcode as I installed it from the macosx cd - I’ll try to find out.

I have the newest version of xcode now but still get:

cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.cxx:4313: warning: ‘void G__setup_memfuncbasic_stringstreamlEcharcOchar_traitslEchargRcOallocatorlEchargRsPgR()’ defined but not used
make: *** [cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…

Regards

Ask

Does your gcc4strm.cxx make line differ from this:

g++ -g -m64 -pipe -W -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude   -DG__REGEXP -DG__UNIX -DG__SHAREDLIB -DG__ROOT -DG__REDIRECTIO -DG__OSFDLL -DG__STD_EXCEPTION -DG__HAVE_CONFIG -DG__NOMAKEINFO -DG__CINTBODY -Icint/cint/inc -Icint/cint/src -Icint/cint/src/dict -D_REENTRANT -pthread -Icint/cint/lib/gcc4strm -Wno-strict-aliasing -I. -o cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.o -c cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.cxx

What does make -v say. Should be:

GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for powerpc-apple-darwin9.0

Cheers, Fons.

I found out i had an outdated make version (.79) so updated and now it works fine

Many thanks

Ask