Help with H2ROOT

Hi,
I don’t know if my problem is a mistake in building or a bad use of the command h2root or a bug in my file.
I have compiled the latest svn version of root in a Scientific Linux 5.3 32 bit OS where it is already compiled and installed cernlib 2005, icc ver 11 and ifort ver 11. My machine is a dual core Dell T110.

I used:

and

all works fine but h2root is giving me some error messages.

I want to convert this file: http://www.webalice.it/strano.evd/dummy.hbook with lrec=4096

If i wrote:

It returns:

RZIODO. Error at record = 2 LUN = 1007 IOSTAT = -1 RZOPEN. Error in the input file Cannot open fileHROPEN 0 Error on hropen was 3 Converting directory //example TFile** prova.root HBOOK file: dummy.hbook converted to ROOT TFile* prova.root HBOOK file: dummy.hbook converted to ROOT

and creates an empty root file.

If I don’t specify some parameters:

It crashes:

[code] RZOPEN. Cannot determine record length - EXCHANGE mode is used.

*** Break *** segmentation violation

===========================================================
There was a crash (#7 0x00e78ff3 in SigHandler () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libCore.so).
This is the entire stack trace of all threads:

#0 0x00c58410 in kernel_vsyscall ()
#1 0x02256df3 in waitpid_nocancel () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2 0x021fc06b in do_system () from /lib/libc.so.6
#3 0x009f487d in system () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#4 0x00e72286 in TUnixSystem::Exec () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libCore.so
#5 0x00e79b1e in TUnixSystem::StackTrace () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libCore.so
#6 0x00e790a0 in TUnixSystem::DispatchSignals () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libCore.so
#7 0x00e78ff3 in SigHandler () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libCore.so
#8 0x00e791c1 in sighandler () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libCore.so
#10 0x06aa477f in mzpush
() from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libminicern.so
#11 0x06a9d6e8 in rzfile
#12 0x06a8df37 in hrfile
#13 0x06a8da50 in hropen
#14 0x0804b9fc in main ()

The lines below might hint at the cause of the crash.
If they do not help you then please submit a bug report at
http://root.cern.ch/bugs. Please post the ENTIRE stack trace
from above as an attachment in addition to anything else
that might help us fixing this issue.

#10 0x06aa477f in mzpush_ () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libminicern.so
#11 0x06a9d6e8 in rzfile_ () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libminicern.so
#12 0x06a8df37 in hrfile_ () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libminicern.so
#13 0x06a8da50 in hropen_ () from /software/cern/root/lib/root/libminicern.so
#14 0x0804b9fc in main ()

[/code]

May you help me, please?

E. Strano

Hi,

Which version of ROOT are you using? With the trunk I am able to read your file fine with: $ h2root dummy.hbook prova.root 1 1 0 RZOPEN. Cannot determine record length - EXCHANGE mode is used. Converting directory //example TFile** prova.root HBOOK file: dummy.hbook converted to ROOT TFile* prova.root HBOOK file: dummy.hbook converted to ROOT KEY: TH1F h10;1 exp(7.65084) KEY: TH1F h100;1 sin(x)/x $ h2root dummy.hbook prova.root RZOPEN. Cannot determine record length - EXCHANGE mode is used. Converting directory //example TFile** prova.root HBOOK file: dummy.hbook converted to ROOT TFile* prova.root HBOOK file: dummy.hbook converted to ROOT KEY: TH1F h10;1 exp(7.65084) KEY: TH1F h100;1 sin(x)/xThus I am guessing that your record length might not be 4096 (I think it is 1024) and that you either have a build error or an older version of ROOT.

Cheers,
Philippe.

I can reproduce the problem with icc11 on my MAC. I am aware of alignment problems with this compiler.
Not sure that this can be fixed in the short term. I can convert your file on all other systems.

Rene

Thanks.

I have replaced the libminicern.so file with the precompiled one in the Dev 5.27/04 version and all worked. I think there is a problem about compiling this file in my enviroment.

Cheers,
E. Strano