Help needed in installation of cint on windows system

im trying to install cint 5.15 on my windows xp system. i have MS visual c++ 6.0 and cygwin installed. i shall describe the step by step procedure i followed to install. and the error i got.
1.first i created a folder c:\cint
2.extracted the contents of the zip file to this folder
3.i set the environmental variables.
4.i ran the vcvars32.bat
5.next i ran this c:\cint\platform\visual> setup.bat (response i have attached)
6.i reboot my system but cint has not no been installed…

i would be grateful for any bump in the right direction
thank you…or do you suggest another procedure
thanking you in advance
response.txt (5.09 KB)

Hi,

we still have a reference to “platform/xyz/setup.bat” and system reboots somewhere? Could you tell me where you found that, please?

First of all you should get a newer MS Visual C++ (“MSVC”); the current one would be good, even the 0$ express version.

The open a Visual Studio command prompt (in Start/Programs/Visual Studio 2008/Visual Studio Tools). That gives you the MSVC paths. Run C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat (or wherever you installed cygwin). Then cd /cygdrive/c/cint (cygwin’s version of “C:\cint”).

Now you can build with “./configure; make”. Configure should state that it selected the platform msvc-something, not cygwin. If any of that fails make sure that you have “make” or “gmake” installed for cygwin.

Cheers, Axel.

hi Axel
yes i forgot to mention that…
i did get cint 5.16 but was unable to run that locate “platform” folder so didnt proceed further so had to down grade to cint 5.15
while waiting for a reply, i tried installing cint on my linux partition(suse 11)…and i was able to install it choosing the “minimum” platform…so i tried to do the same in windows…but…(as usual it doesnt work)…the error was in the disp.c file

disp.c:2024: conflicting types for G__fprinterr' disp.c:2024: A parameter list with an ellipsis can't match disp.c:2024: an empty parameter name list declaration. ..\G__ci.h:1698: previous declaration ofG__fprinterr’
disp.c:2187: conflicting types for G__printf' disp.c:2187: A parameter list with an ellipsis can't match disp.c:2187: an empty parameter name list declaration. ..\G__ci.h:2353: previous declaration ofG__printf’
disp.c:2204: conflicting types for G__fprintf' disp.c:2204: A parameter list with an ellipsis can't match disp.c:2204: an empty parameter name list declaration. ..\G__ci.h:1716: previous declaration ofG__fprintf’
make[1]: *** [disp.o] Error 1
make: *** [/cint/src/G__ci.a] Error 2

i will try to get the new msvc…and try wat you suggested…
thanks alot axel…

im extremly sorry for being an idiot. i read the code were the error was. it has been clearly given that i have to define G__FIX1 at the top of the disp.c file…

but now there is new drama…

disp.c:2187: conflicting types for G__printf' disp.c:2187: A parameter list with an ellipsis can't match disp.c:2187: an empty parameter name list declaration. ..\G__ci.h:2353: previous declaration ofG__printf’
disp.c:2204: conflicting types for G__fprintf' disp.c:2204: A parameter list with an ellipsis can't match disp.c:2204: an empty parameter name list declaration. ..\G__ci.h:1716: previous declaration ofG__fprintf’
make[1]: *** [disp.o] Error 1
make: *** [/cint/src/G__ci.a] Error 2

i was able to remove one error…i have a doubt…why have all the functions being defined as G__ …does it have any reason or is it some coding guidelines…?[/code]

[quote]why have all the functions being defined as G__[/quote]This is indeed as a platform isolation layer (those were definitively needed when CINT was first written on some platform, it may or may not be still needed.

On windows, are you still trying to build with vc6?

Cheers,
Philippe.

no actually i have some how got through the installation using cygwin…i will list down the steps…could you tell me what mistakes i have done…and what could be the limitations or consequences of my action…

the commenting i have done because while i was building there were errors pointing to these lines…so i took the risk of commenting it…but some how i could build it…

i also had another doubt…
are all the libraries present in the lib folder or the bare minimum installation of cint…or what are the folders being used for building cint…?
thanks alot… :smiley:

Hi,

Why are you trying to install cint 5.15 rather than a newer version? (For example the head of the SVN trunk, since you are building it anyway?)

Cheers,
Philippe.

PS. I did not carefully look at the line of code you commented out but more than likely this will actually cripple the code …

im not able to build 5.16…even in my Linux partition…and i was desperate for results so i had to go for 5.15…

now that i put suse 11.0 in my box…im able to build cint…without any problems…and no commenting…

but now when i use makecint…im curious what libraries are being used to get G__ci.a
Can anyone shed light on this…

For all those who thought i have quit trying in Windows…no i havent …i will crack it… :wink:

Well I recommend trying 5.17 (or better the head of the trunk), that would have the advantage that if you discover ‘new’ problem we can fix it in the source!

[quote].im curious what libraries are being used to get G__ci.a[/quote]What do you mean? What is G__ci.a?

Cheers,
Philippe.

yes i would like to know what is the function of G__ci.a
Is it being used during the compilation of cint.
and what all libraries are being included while cint is being complied…

Hi,

G__ci.a is the ‘static library’ for CINT (it could have named libCint.a).
CINT does not used any external libraries except optionally for readline.a

Cheers,
Philippe.

thank you…
yes i did go through the contents of the makefile present in src folder. im having difficulty understanding what newlink.c and stub.c do. Could you throw some light on these topics…

Hi,

Please note that in newer version of CINT, G__ci.a was renamed libCint_static.a

Cheers,
Philippe.

newlink.c: This file is used by CINT to write the dictionary files.
stub.c: This file is used by CINT to create what it calls ‘stub classes’. ‘stub classes’ can be use to create a compile class that either inherits or use an interpreted class.

Cheers,
Philippe.

PS. I am curious to know what sparked you to look at the inside of CINT so carefully :slight_smile:

i want try and use cint as a feature on a board…so i want to see if i can strip it down to the bare minimun…remove the dependencies on os…and reduce the size of libraries…is this possible…or am i in a wild goose chase… :confused:
i was able to compile cint even after i removed oldlink.c and memtest.c…i suppose that they are of not much importance in cint… :question:

do u have a description of the files in the src folder…cause i am having going in circles just trying to find out what is the purpose of each .c file…
it would like reduce my work by a factor of …say 50 or 60…
thanks in advance… :slight_smile:

I strongly suggest to have a look at:
root.cern.ch/drupal/content/users-guide
root.cern.ch/root/html/index.html
root.cern.ch/root/html/tutorials/

or start at the very beginning with:
root.cern.ch/drupal/

Rene

Hi,

We do not have an explanation (beside the code itself) of the intent of each of the CINT source files. Indeed memtest, oldlink are not needed in your use case. Most of the bc_*cxx are also probably can be skipped. stub.cxx and newlink.cxx could also most likely be (carefully :slight_smile: ) extracted. Another ‘possible’ size reduction is to avoid the file starting with a capital letter (which implements the C++ interface to CINT). Of course, all those ‘extraction’ represent a decrease in functionality :slight_smile:.

Cheers,
Philippe.

thanks a lot Philippe… :slight_smile:
i have to say this…i have been posting doubts in forums all over the net…never have i got such a good response…hats off to all those who replied…
thanks once again… :smiley: