HelloCanvas on Qt app using ROOT with VC2010&Qt 4.8.1

Dear tc3t ,

Thank you very much for your update.

I have committed your corrections made for the Qt project files

qt/inc/rootcintrule.pri qt/inc/rootlibs.pri qt/qt.pro It does allow the user to build the entire “qtExamples” test suite on Windows platform successfully . I did not committee your other corrections to build the entire QtRoot with qmake on Windows . I need to check it yet.

Even though the many basic QWtRoot tests work now and “Root.exe” works as well I can not recommend this version for our users yet.

The main problem is the “Root for Windows” huge CPU consumption . The idling “root.exe” in batch mode (!!!) (aka the ROOT command prompt) on Windows consumers ~80-90% of CPU. The clause “in batch mode” means that this effect belongs to the “vanilla” ROOT". The ROOT batch application loads neither QtRoot nor Win32 graphical layer at all.

Another non-QtRoot smaller issue. The “HelloCanvas” test works as soon as QtRoot is concern. However, it crushes with the “index out bond” message within TLatex::PaintLatex/…/mathtextparse method

For me, it sounds like the ROOT bugs and I am looking for remedy.

Meantime I would like the other ROOT users and ROOT team to confirm my observation.

[quote=“fine”] . . .
Another non-QtRoot smaller issue. The “HelloCanvas” test works as soon as QtRoot is concern. However, it crushes with the “index out bond” message within TLatex::PaintLatex/…/mathtextparse method

For me, it sounds like the ROOT bugs and I am looking for remedy.
. . .
[/quote]The patch[code]$ svn diff
Index: src/mathtextparse.cxx

— src/mathtextparse.cxx (revision 47581)
+++ src/mathtextparse.cxx (working copy)
@@ -432,7 +432,7 @@

ret.push_back(code_substr);
                    begin = end;
  •                   while(code[begin] == ' ') {

•                   while( begin<code.size() && code[begin] == ' ' ) {
                              begin++;
                      }
              }[/code] fixed the qtExamples/HelloCanvas crash.

[quote=“fine”] I have committed your corrections made for the Qt project files

qt/inc/rootcintrule.pri qt/inc/rootlibs.pri qt/qt.pro It does allow the user to build the entire “qtExamples” test suite on Windows platform successfully . I did not committee your other corrections to build the entire QtRoot with qmake on Windows . I need to check it yet.[/quote]
Nice if it was useful. Feel free to ask if some hacks need further explanation.

[quote=“fine”]
The main problem is the “Root for Windows” huge CPU consumption . The idling “root.exe” in batch mode (!!!) (aka the ROOT command prompt) on Windows consumers ~80-90% of CPU. The clause “in batch mode” means that this effect belongs to the “vanilla” ROOT". The ROOT batch application loads neither QtRoot nor Win32 graphical layer at all. [/quote]
I can’t confirm the observation of CPU consumption; CPU usage of root.exe is normal for me when tested with 5.34.03 release version.

After some tesing I found the reason that did not allow to run some tests from qtExamples test suite under Windows correctly.
The problem was simple one and easy to fix :unamused:

With the latest Qt 4.8.3 one has to to add :exclamation: the “console” parameter to the ‘qmake’ CONFIG option forcing the qmake to build the win32 console application.

I added this parameter to the rootlibs.pri file (see qtroot.svn.sourceforge.net/viewv … 60&r2=3582 ) . Nowaday, all my major TQWidtet.YCanas tests work correctly.
See for example the HelloDancingHist ( see qtroot.svn.sourceforge.net/viewv … iew=markup ) and screenshot attached.

I did test that under MacOS (with the latest Xcode and the official Qt binary from digia ) to make sure one can create the QtROOT application with the native Mac API with no X11 involved.

Thank everyone for the patches and support.

Hello,
could somebody please help me. I am about to give up on installing QtRoot on Windows. The INSTALL_QTROOT.sh-Script crashes every time the compilation starts (COMPILATION starts… be patient.).
There are problems with the vcvars32-batchfile.
I followed the instruction given in post HelloCanvas on Qt app using ROOT with VC2010&Qt 4.8.1 .
My Cygwin.bat-file looks like this:

@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin
call C:“Program Files (x86)”“Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0”\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat
bash --login -i

I also tried this without success:

@echo off

C:
call C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\qtvars vsvars
bash --login -i

I asked a colleague and he said that it is nearly impssible to get this program installed using windows without any problems.

Thanks in advance!!

[quote=“christoph.mi”]Hello,
could somebody please help me. I am about to give up on installing QtRoot on Windows. The . . .

I asked a colleague and he said that it is nearly impssible to get this program installed using windows without any problems.

Thanks in advance!![/quote]
Hmm, I do not think so and I need an extra information to understand what your “crash” stands for. I did see your private message too. One needs to know what version of ROOT you tried to use , what version of Qt you tried to use. Did you compile Qt yourself or download the “binary” distribution, etc.

You said,

[quote=“christoph.mi”]

My Cygwin.bat-file looks like this:

@echo off
C:
call C:“Program Files (x86)”“Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0”\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat
bash --login -i
[/quote] In the other word you used the “Visual Studio 9”. Does all other binaries (including Qt) were compiled with this version of compiler ?

The compilation flags and compiler versions mismatch are the major source of the compilation troubles (That has nothing to do with very QtROOT . The UNIX gcc is less sensitive. It allows mixing s the binary compiled with the different flags. For example, with VC so-called console application (ROOT is the Win32 Console application) you can not mix libraries compiled with the “debug” on and library compiled with the debug off.)

By the way, if your colleague got some negative experience I would appreciate to learn it too.

I’ ve tried to repeat my own receipt Locate like command from the scratch and found no Qt/Root/QtRoot related issue.

However, there is a problem that is caused by some bug from cygiwn/make package. Sometimes the shell script to compile the long C++ package (like ROOT) can stop abruptly . In this case one just should restart the process. To do that do

source set_environment.sh cd root make Normally one [-o< attempt suffices to complete =D> the build.

[quote=“fine”]I’ ve tried to repeat my own receipt Locate like command from the scratch and found no Qt/Root/QtRoot related issue.

However, there is a problem that is caused by some bug from cygiwn/make package. Sometimes the shell script to compile the long C++ package (like ROOT) can stop abruptly . In this case one just should restart the process. To do that do

source set_environment.sh cd root make Normally one [-o< attempt suffices to complete =D> the build.[/quote]

Hi,
thanks to your help I was finally able to build Root and QtRoot. All in all I had to repeat three times: make
to finish the INSTALL_QTROOT-Script.

Anyway, I could not successfully build the qtExamples:

[code]Setting up a Qt environment…
– QTDIR set to C:\Qt\4.8.3
– Added C:\Qt\4.8.3\bin to PATH
– QMAKESPEC set to “win32-msvc2010”
Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 x86 tools.

Christoph@Christoph-PC ~
$ cd C:

Christoph@Christoph-PC /cygdrive/c
$ cd QTR2/

Christoph@Christoph-PC /cygdrive/c/QTR2
$ source set_environment.sh

Christoph@Christoph-PC /cygdrive/c/QTR2
$ cd qtRoot/qtExamples/

Christoph@Christoph-PC /cygdrive/c/QTR2/qtRoot/qtExamples
$ qmake
Project MESSAGE: This project us to build HelloCanvas HelloWord HelloClick Hello
QPainter HelloZoomer Qt4/CustomWidgets Qt4/HelloFileBrowser Qt4/HelloSignal Qt/R
oot examples

Christoph@Christoph-PC /cygdrive/c/QTR2/qtRoot/qtExamples
$ nmake

Microsoft ® Program Maintenance Utility, Version 10.00.30319.01
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

cd HelloCanvas\ && "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\

VC\BIN\nmake.exe" -f Makefile

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" -

f Makefile.Debug

cl -c -nologo -Zm200 -Zc:wchar_t- -Zi -MDd -GR -EHsc -W3 -w34100 -w34189

-DUNICODE -DWIN32 -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS -DQT_DLL -DQ
T_QT3SUPPORT_LIB -DQT3_SUPPORT -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_HAVE_MMX -DQT_HAV
E_3DNOW -DQT_HAVE_SSE -DQT_HAVE_MMXEXT -DQT_HAVE_SSE2 -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"…
…\Qt\4.8.3\include\QtCore" -I"…\Qt\4.8.3\include\QtGui" -I"…
…\Qt\4.8.3\include\Qt3Support" -I"…\Qt\4.8.3\include" -I"/cygdri
ve/c/QTR2/root\include" -I"…\Qt\4.8.3\include\ActiveQt" -I"debug" -I".
…\Qt\4.8.3\mkspecs\win32-msvc2010" -Fodebug\ @C:\cygwin\tmp\nm35A5.tmp
HelloCanvas.cxx
.\HelloCanvas.cxx(8) : fatal error C1083: Datei (Include) kann nicht geöffnet we
rden: “TGraph.h”: No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: ““C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0
\VC\BIN\cl.EXE””: Rückgabe-Code “0x2”
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: ““C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0
\VC\BIN\nmake.exe””: Rückgabe-Code “0x2”
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: “cd”: Rückgabe-Code “0x2”
Stop.
[/code]

Does anyone have an idea??
Thanks in advance!

Check root.bnl.gov/QtRoot/How2Install4 … short_test
It says, [quote]You should test QtRoot from the regular Windows Command Mode prompt rather from Cygwin environment.
Set the Windows environment. To do that you need to find and select the Windows command batch file created by the “Full Installation”

[code]set_environment.cmd[/code]

Then select the qtExamples directory and build the test suite:

[code]
  cd %QTROOTSYSDIR%\qtExamples
  qmake
  nmake[/code]

[/quote]’

Did you do that #-o ?

• ROOT ( with / without QtRoot ) is the regular Win32 application.
  • One needs that Cygwin to build ROOT (with QtRoot plugin).
  • As soon as you built ROOT you do not :bulb: need any Cygwin any more.
  • One does not need any Cygwin to run ROOT , one does not need it to build QtRoot / ROOT custom applications including qtExamples.

In the other words, you should not [-X launch any cygwin (as your post indicated ), you should :exclamation: use the regular Windows Console instead ( as my Web page advises) .

Hi,

now I tried with the regular cmd, but I still get the same error-message:

[code]C:\QTR2>set_environment.cmd

C:\QTR2>echo Set the VC environment
Set the VC environment

C:\QTR2>CALL "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\vcvars3
2.bat"

C:\QTR2>SET QTDIR=C:\Qt\4.8.3

C:\QTR2>SET QMAKESPEC=win32-msvc2010

C:\QTR2>SET QT_CONF_OPTS=" -opensource -no-exceptions -confirm-license "

C:\QTR2>SET ROOTSYS=C:\QTR2\root

C:\QTR2>SET QTROOTSYSDIR=C:\QTR2\root

C:\QTR2>SET LIB=C:\QTR2\root\lib;C:\Qt\4.8.3\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsof
t Visual Studio 10.0\VC\LIB;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A
lib;C:\QTR2\root\lib;C:\Qt\4.8.3\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Stu
dio 10.0\VC\LIB;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\lib;C:\QTR2
root\lib;C:\Qt\4.8.3\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC
LIB;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\lib;

C:\QTR2>SET PATH=C:\QTR2\root\bin;C:\Qt\4.8.3\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microso
ft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studi
o 10.0\VC\BIN;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Tools;
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework
\v3.5;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\VCPackages;C:\Progr
am Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin;C:\QTR2\root\bin;C:\Qt\4.8.3\bin;C:\Prog
ram Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files (x86)
\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Stu
dio 10.0\Common7\Tools;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319;C:\Windows
Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0
\VC\VCPackages;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0
Tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin;C:\QTR2\root\bin;
C:\Qt\4.8.3\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE
;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN;C:\Program Files (x8
6)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Tools;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework
\v4.0.30319;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro
soft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\VCPackages;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Wind
ows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0
A\bin;C:\MikTex_inst\miktex\bin;C:\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)
AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)
\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:
\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\Window
sPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x86;C:\Program Fi
les (x86)\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.
ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem;c:\Program Files (x86
)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Serv
er\100\DTS\Binn;C:\QTR2\root\bin

C:\QTR2>cd %QTROOTSYSDIR%\qtExamples

C:\QTR2\root\qtExamples>qmake
Project MESSAGE: This project us to build HelloCanvas HelloWord HelloClick Hello
QPainter HelloZoomer HelloPixmap HelloToolBar HelloRootConsole HelloGLViewer Hel
loOpenGL DrawFunction HelloQtSolutions QtGBrowser HelloCint Qt4/CustomWidgets Qt
4/HelloFileBrowser Qt4/HelloSignal Qt/Root examples

C:\QTR2\root\qtExamples>nmake

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

cd HelloCanvas\ && "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\

VC\BIN\nmake.exe" -f Makefile

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" -

f Makefile.Debug

link /LIBPATH:"c:\Qt\4.8.3\lib" /NOLOGO /DYNAMICBASE /NXCOMPAT /DEBUG /S

UBSYSTEM:WINDOWS “/MANIFESTDEPENDENCY:type=‘win32’ name=‘Microsoft.Windows.Commo
n-Controls’ version=‘6.0.0.0’ publicKeyToken=‘6595b64144ccf1df’ language=’’ pro
cessorArchitecture=’
’” /OUT:debug\HelloCanvas.exe @C:\Users\CHRIST~1\AppData\Lo
cal\Temp\nm855C.tmp
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: file “GQt.lib” could not be opened.
\VC\BIN\link.EXE””: Code "0x450"
Stop.
\VC\BIN\nmake.exe””: Code "0x2"
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: “cd”: Code "0x2"
Stop.

C:\QTR2\root\qtExamples>[/code]

My set_environment.cmd looks like:

echo Set the VC environment CALL "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\vcvars32.bat" SET QTDIR=C:\Qt\4.8.3 SET QMAKESPEC=win32-msvc2010 SET QT_CONF_OPTS=" -opensource -no-exceptions -confirm-license " SET ROOTSYS=C:\QTR2\root SET QTROOTSYSDIR=C:\QTR2\root SET LIB=%ROOTSYS%\lib;%QTDIR%\lib;%LIB% SET PATH=%ROOTSYS%\bin;%QTDIR%\bin;%PATH%

Kind regards,
Chris

[quote=“christoph.mi”] get the same error-message:[/quote] #-o
Did you remove :unamused: the Makefiles generated by your previous attempt ?

Please, try gain:

cd %QTROOTSYSDIR%\qtExamples nmake distclean qmake nmake

Thanks a lot!!!
After running

I could successfully start the HelloCanvas.pro using qtCreator for Windows. I only had to change the “Make”-command, which is “PathToQtCreator/bin/jom.exe” per default using “nmake”.
Now everything works fine!!

Kind regards,
Chris

[quote=“christoph.mi”]Thanks a lot!!!

Now everything works fine!![/quote] =D>

Hi,
I have just another question concerning the QTRoot-Version for Windows (VC2010):
There is a problem with the ROOT-TBrowser.
When I try to open a root-file using the TBrowser, respectively starting the TBrowser, ROOT crashes every time.
The log looks like this:

[code]Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>cd C:\QTR2

C:\QTR2>set_environment.cmd

Set the VC environment

C:\QTR2>CALL "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\vcvars3
2.bat"

C:\QTR2>SET LIB=C:\QTR2\root\lib;C:\Qt\4.8.3\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsof
lib;

C:\QTR2>SET PATH=C:\QTR2\root\bin;C:\Qt\4.8.3\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microso
ft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studi
o 10.0\VC\BIN;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Tools;
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework
\v3.5;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\VCPackages;C:\Progr
am Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin;C:\MikTex_inst\miktex\bin;C:\MiKTeX 2.9
miktex\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD
APP\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)
NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System
32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisT
ec\MyWinLocker 3\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x64;C:\Program
Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTi
me\QTSystem;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn;c:\Prog
ram Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn;C:\QTR2\root\bin

C:\QTR2>root

•    W E L C O M E  to  R O O T       *

• Version 5.34/05 14 February 2013 *

• You are welcome to visit our Web site *
  •      http://root.cern.ch            *

ROOT 5.34/05 (branches/v5-34-00-patches@48568, Mar 18 2013, 23:28:00 on win32)

CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.18.00, July 2, 2010
Type ? for help. Commands must be C++ statements.
Enclose multiple statements between { }.
root [0] TBrowser* b = new TBrowser()
** $Id: TGQt.cxx 3615 2013-02-27 22:20:31Z fineroot $ this=04C9FBB8
TQtMmlTextProxy activated
TQtGuiFactory.cxx 2615 2007-11-02 17:00:33Z fine $ 0x4c9fbb8[/code]

Afterwards a Windows Error-message pops up:
“ROOT application root funktioniert nicht mehr” which means ROOT application root does not work anymore.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Chris

[quote=“christoph.mi”]Hi,
I have just another question concerning the QTRoot-Version for Windows (VC2010):
There is a problem with the ROOT-TBrowser.
When I try to open a root-file using the TBrowser, respectively starting the TBrowser, ROOT crashes every time.
The log looks like this:

[code]Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\System32>cd C:\QTR2
C:\QTR2>set_environment.cmd
Set the VC environment

2.bat"

lib;

C:\QTR2>root

ROOT 5.34/05 (branches/v5-34-00-patches@48568, Mar 18 2013, 23:28:00 on win32)

Afterwards a Windows Error-message pops up:
“ROOT application root funktioniert nicht mehr” which means ROOT application root does not work anymore.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Chris[/quote]
Sorry, I found this post has not been answered yet.

1. To make the Qt-based TBrowser work the full Qt-Root extensions have to be installed and activated within ROOT “.rootrc” resource file.
  2. The current version of QtRoot is to embed the TCanvas graphic into the Qt-based QWidget. The Qt-based TBrowser will work (with Qt-extensions installed). However, its functionality is outdated due lack of demand.