Getting the mean value from TBranch variable

I have a root file with some TTree inside. I want to calculate the average of some variable for each TTree. Following this topic I tried:

TH1F *h = new TH1F();
Part1->Draw("x>>h", "", "goff");
TH1 *h = gDirectory->Get("h");

and I get the error ROOT_prompt_3:1:6: error: cannot initialize a variable of type 'TH1 *' with an rvalue of type 'TObject *'

I also tried the other case:

Part1->Draw("x", "", "goff");
TH1 *h = (TH1*)gPad->GetPrimitive("htemp");

and I get *** Break *** segmentation violation

The thing is that if I type htemp->GetMean() I get the correct result. However, if after this I do for example Part1->Draw("y", "", "goff"); I get a segmentation error again.

This is a very basic thing to do, but I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

The first error you get is because the gDirectory->Get() returns a pointer of type TObject, and so if you want to re-interpret it as a TH1 pointer, you need to cast it to TH1*:

TH1 *h = (TH1 *)gDirectory->Get("h");

The second error is a little harder to check without having more of your code. It looks OK and you are correctly casting to TH1*. Did you check to make sure that gPad is not “null”? (I know it should not be, but that is the most likely issue causing the segmentation violation.)

TH1F *h = new TH1F("h", "my histogram;x title;y title", 100, 0., 0.); // automatic bins
Part1->Draw("x >> h", "", "goff");
h->Print();

This works! I also had to remove the first line TH1F *h = new TH1F(); to avoid redefinition of h.

About the second suggestion, I find unnecessary having to define the TH1F object with that much detail since I just want to calculate the mean of the TBranch variable. I don’t really care about the range or the nbins of the histogram.

Thank you both!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.