Getting status from TGeoManager::Import

I would like to add a new automated step to the Mu2e software validation suite. I would like to load a gdml file using root and programatically verify that it loads without error. I can do this but only by parsing printed output. I would like to know if there is a way to do this by asking the TGeoManager object for status information. Any advice?

Here is the macro I am now using:

void gdmlCheck( char const* gdmlFilename ){
  TGeoManager* geom = TGeoManager::Import(gdmlFilename);
 unsigned status{0.};  // I would like to add a status check here.
  exit(status);
}

It can be invoked with:

root -l gdmlCheck.C\(\"mu2e_good.gdml\"\) 2> good_err.log 1> good_out.log
root -l gdmlCheck.C\(\"mu2e_bad.gdml\"\)   2> bad_err.log 1> bad_out.log

The signature of an error is the caseblind string “error” in the x_err.log file or more than 2 lines in the x_out.log. That feels fragile and, over time, likely to produce both false positives and false negatives. Does anyone see a better way? Ideally I would like to ask the TGeoManager object about the status of the import and return an exit code that reflects the status.

Thanks,

Rob

ROOT Version: 6.22.08
Platform: SL7
Compiler: g++ 9.3.0

Hi @kutschke,

Perhaps, you can use a custom error handler to catch the error on TGeoManager::Import, i.e. (adjusted from above)

unsigned status = 0;

void gdmlCheck(const char *gdmlFilename) {
  ::SetErrorHandler([] (int level, Bool_t abort, const char *location, const char *msg) {
      if (level == kError && strstr(location, "TGeoManager::Import"))
        status = 1;
    });

auto geom = TGeoManager::Import(gdmlFilename);
  return status;
}

Then, you should be able to tell if the file was parsed successfully looking at the exit status returned by the root process.

Cheers,
J.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.