German Keyboard, Mac OS X

Hi all,

I am experiencing an annoying problem when using ROOT 5.26/00 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and with a German keyboard layout. It seems that the Alt-key does not work in TGTextEntries, as I am unable to type parentheses like [] or {} and many other symbols.
Is this known and does anyone have a solution to this? Switching to an English keyboard layout is a workaround, but quite unsatisfactory if you are sitting in front of a German keyboard :wink:

Thanks and best regards,

Jens

Hi,

This problem should have been fixed in svn trunk (by revision 33436), at least on Linux and Windows (I didn’t try on Mac)

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

thanks for the hint! I had trouble with the 5.26 rev. from svn (compiled fine but crashes with a segfault immediately after starting up). Hence I tried root 5.27 and there the problem with the keyboard still persists.

Is there anything I can still do? How could I find out what the reason for this problem is?

Thanks for any hint,

Jens

Jens,

Well, it depends on the exact version you have. This fix is not in any binary release (or in any tag).
The only think you can do is to build the trunk from source, or to apply the necessary patches, as shown in this revison log: http://root.cern.ch/viewvc?view=rev&revision=33436

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

thanks for the clarification. I have now applied the patch of the two files, but there is no change. I cannot use the Alt key :frowning:( Any further ideas?

Best,

Jens

Hi,

Well, I’ll have to test on a Mac… I’ll let you know.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

that would be great, many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Jens

Hi Jens,

Well, apparently Mac has its own way of handling these alt keys. I’ll have to investigate how to handle this in ROOT.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

I have the same problem under Linux (Debian Lenny). I cannot type any {}[] in TGTextEntries.
I use mainly 525-04 but I just tryied with 526-00 and it also didn’t work…

Georg

Hi Georg,

This has been solved in svn trunk, and will be included in the next development release planned for the end of June. So you can either build from source, using svn trunk, or wait for the next release.

Cheers, Bertrand.

I have an Italian Keyboard.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Italian

I had the problem of altgr in TGTextEdit / TGTextEntry / everywhere,
now solved in 5.27/4 - Linux

But I also have a similar problem with accented characters, è ò à
(note: single key press in italian keyboard, not key combinations).
You type, nothing appears in TGTextEdit / TGTextEntry / everywhere.
In 5.27/4, this problem is not solved.

Paolo

PS: Can you backport altgr patch to the next official patch release 5.26.00/d ?
Thanks

Hi Paolo,

FYI, the accented characters (UTF-8) are actually not supported in the ROOT GUI.
And the backport of altgr patch is done and will be part of the next patch release

Cheers, Bertrand.