Geometry points

Hi,
I’m using the geometry classes but I’m stuck on a problem.

Is there a way to get the main points of a geometry ?

For example :
I produce this geometry by cutting cylinders using TGeoIntersection. For the red TGeoCompositeShape, I have to get the A,B points, the center (ok for this) and a point on the arc.

Is this possible ?

TSD.

image Cutted cylinder

Yes, you can use the DistanceToIn/Out interface of TGeoShape. For example, if you know the coordinates of a point on the AB line and the direction of AB vector, you can call DistanceToIn/Out for the component cylinders after converting the point to their local coordinates. Think of this method as using a “ruler”. It may be tricky to find your reference points, but TGeoCompositeShape cannot offer this kind of functionality due to the complexity and infinite number of shape combinations.

Hi,
I tried this, it works fine in a lot of cases, but I found unexpected results with a TGeoPgon.

I launched DistanceFromOutside with the (0;0;0) starting point and the (0;1;0) vector to find the first intersection. But it returns 80.0 instead of 40.0 on the Y axis. I changed the size values of the tube but no changes.
I found a solution to this problem by moving the starting point to (0;0.00001;0).
Did I miss something ?

The DistanceFromInside seems work well and returns 50, the good value. These methods are working well with a cylindrical tube.

Illustration :

Hi, for the Pgon you may have hit a singularity where the algorithm behaves bad. To fix the bug, I would need the shape (preferrably saved in a ROOT file) and starting point/direction.

Here is my script, and shape.

Starting point : 0;0;0
Direction : 0;1;0
You can find these values in the python file.

You can try to set the starting point to 0;0.00001;0. It works fine with values near 0 but not with 0.

shape.root (1.7 KB)
TGeoPgon_DistanceFromOutside_BUG.py (2.0 KB)

Hi, I converted your python script to a C macro trying to debug, but I get correct result with the master:

inside_y >>>>>>> 50 #Expected : 50.0#
outside_y >>>>>> 40 #Expected : 40.0#

Note that the call for DistanceFromInside from (0,0,0) gives a “correct” answer just by chance since a point inside the “hole” of the Pgon shape is not considered inside the shape, so you are supposed to call only DistanceFromOutside

Note that when you use distance methods as a “ruler”, you should avoid querying along side planes, which may give unpredictible results.

bug.C (2.2 KB)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.