Generic polycone unsupported by GDML parser

Hi, I am modelling a detector using the G4GenericPolycone (no, the normal polycone won’t work). I’d like to parse the values of it using ROOT’s gdml parser, but the genericPolycone is not supported by the parser. When I try, I get:

root [0] TGeoManager::Import(“test.gdml”)
Info in TGeoManager::Import: Reading geometry from file: test.gdml
Info in TGeoManager::TGeoManager: Geometry GDMLImport, Geometry imported from GDML created
Error: Unsupported GDML Tag Used :genericPolycone. Please Check Geometry/Schema.
Error: Unsupported GDML Tag Used :rzpoint. Please Check Geometry/Schema.
Followed by a seg fault.

Is there any hope for genericPolycones being added in the future? I am purely interested in using this to parse the values from the file; I don’t immediately plan on using any of the other features of the geometry library such as visualization. Is there a way to read in and access the values without having it segfault?

Thanks, Ian

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

_ROOT Version: 6.22.02/6.18.00
_Platform: centOS7/ubuntu 18.04
_Compiler: cling

Welcome to the ROOT forum!

@agheata Can you help?

Hi,
Indeed, generic polygons are not supported by ROOT geometry and unlikely to be in the near future. Since there is no support object to store its parameter values, these cannot be made available. The tag should however not segfault, but just be skipped. You can open an issue at http://root.cern.ch/bugs

Thanks for the quick response!
After messing with it more, I’ve found that the segfault goes away if I reduce the GDML to just the generic polycone, and, as you said, it does not store any of the information. The seg fault seems to come from the fact that the polycone is also included in some subtractions and unions.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.