Gdb cannot find ROOT shared libraries

I have installed ROOT 5.16.00 from source on a Mac running OS X 10.4.9, gcc 4.0.1. ROOT runs fine in interpreter mode. However, when I try to run my program using gdb I get the following messages:

pn1180766mac:~/wi2006/wi64/deap-los-alamos jwouters$ gdb gammaanalyzer.exe
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-477) (Sun Apr 30 20:01:44 GMT 2006)
Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type “show copying” to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type “show warranty” for details.
This GDB was configured as “i386-apple-darwin”…
warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libCore.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libCint.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libRIO.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libNet.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libHist.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libGraf.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libGraf3d.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libGpad.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libTree.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libRint.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libPostscript.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libMatrix.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libPhysics.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libGui.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libHtml.dylib” (file not found).

warning: Unable to read symbols for “/Users/brun/root/lib/libThread.dylib” (file not found).
Reading symbols for shared libraries … done

MYINSTALLATION:
ROOT is installed in /Applications/root/pro - pro being a symbolic link to the version of ROOT I want to run.

PATH: /usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/Applications/rome/pro/bin:/Applications/root/pro/bin:/Applications/Graphviz.app/Contents/MacOS:/Applications/doxygen/bin:/Developer/qwt/bin:/Developer/qt/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/Users/jwouters/bin

LD_LIBRARY_PATH: /Applications/root/pro/lib/:
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:/Applications/root/pro/lib:/Developer/qt/lib:
ROOTSYS: /Applications/root/pro
:question:

Hi Jan,

as you have build ROOT from source there cannot be any reference to /Users/brun/root/… , so there must be some other binary hanging around against which your gammaanalyzer app has been linked. Try relinking it.

Cheers, Fons.

The first time I installed v5.16.00 I installed it from binary and received the dynamic link problems in gdb. When I installed from source and compiled from scratch the problems disappeared. I didn’t state what I did correctly in my first post, my apology.

I thought that the binary implementation would use relative paths to ROOTSYS and thus gdb would find all the dynamic libraries. Is that not correct.

To run the precompiled version setting only ROOTSYS and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH are enough. I am not sure what happens with gdb in this case. However, not that you’ve build ROOT from source do things work correctly?

Cheers, Fons.

Thanks for your response. Yes everything is working correctly and I can debug my code.