GCC + win gdk based GUI : Is it possible?

Hi.
Is it possible to install ROOT with gcc (Cygwin/MinGW) and windows gdk based GUI? How?

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

If you install win32gcc version of ROOT, wou will need full cygwin X11 environment. The win32gdk version is the “native” version of ROOT on Windows (gdk is just an extra layer). In this case, cygwin is only used to build ROOT itself, and is not needed to build a native Windows library or application using ROOT libraries.
So I would advise to use win32gdk version.

Cheers, Bertrand.

If there is any information how to compile ROOT with Msys+Mingw without cygwin?

[quote=“WestVes”]If there is any information how to compile ROOT with Msys+Mingw without cygwin?[/quote]You do not need very cygwin. In theory, what you really need is “bash shell”, GNU make and binutils. In the other words Msys should be sufficient. In real life one has to test this with no Cygwin yet.

There is still a question of GUI:

• win32gcc - requires X11
  • win32 - uses unknown for gcc compiler options

It could be quite useful to have a possibility to build ROOT without GUI as simple ROOT library (e.g. I’m interested in analysis of PIXE spectra: pick detection and fitting; and I need only numerical data.) Could you suggest something?

Hi,

I think you misunderstood what is the issue here. It has nothing to do with GUI vs non-GUI, it is a runtime binaries issue… gcc produces posix compatible libraries, and cl (Microsoft compiler) produces Win32 binaries.
the cygwin (or Mingw/MSYS) shell is only used produce these binaries, using common makefiles (on all platforms).
And anyway, you can still use the binaries from the web and build your applications (or your libraries) and link with any of the Root libraries without any problem. Do you really need to build Root yourself?

Cheers,
Bertrand.

Hi,

what’s the problem with building with e.g. the free (0$) Microsoft compiler Express edition?

Cheers, Axel.

There is still a question of GUI:

• win32gcc - requires X11
  • win32 - uses unknown for gcc compiler options
    [/quote]Yes, this is a job. One has to introduce and “make up” the “new ROOT platform” which is “gcc + Win32 GDI”.
    One has to anticipate some job to customize the ROOT BUILD scripts and CPP flags.

The current platforms are

"MS VC + win32 GDI"
"gcc + X11"
"gcc + Qt"
"MS VC + Qt"

[quote=“WestVes”]It could be quite useful to have a possibility to build ROOT without GUI as simple ROOT library (e.g. I’m interested in analysis of PIXE spectra: pick detection and fitting; and I need only numerical data.) Could you suggest something?[/quote]The low level graphical layer is defined by ROOT plug-in. That plug-in is optional. It is not loaded at all if ROOT is started in “batch mode”. What one really needs is the appropriated :bulb: OS layer. The OS layer interface is defined by TSystem abstract class. Its implementations are $ROOTSYS/core/unix and
$ROOTSYS/core/winnt.

This is the FIRST :exclamation: thing to do. As soon as you can build $ROOTSYS/core/winnt with Msys/MinGW the 95% of the job is done (especially if your want the batch mode only).

But, . . . First thing first . Why do you want this? [quote]what is wrong with the existing platforms?[/quote]

Well, you entitled this topic as " … GUI : Is it possible? … "

Yes, we can suggest. Just use the existing ROOT. If you do not want to use GUI just do not use it. Make no call of any ROOT GUI function from your code. That’s.