GCC Cling compile with -std=c++17 still contains -std=c++11

Hi,

I’m compiling Cling 1.0~dev with GCC 9.4.0 on Ubuntu 20.04.1. I decided to re-compile it using -std=c++17. The cmake line I’m using is:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=17 -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS='-std=c++17' -DLLVM_BUILD_TOOLS=Off  -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python3 ../src 2>&1 | tee cmake.log

The CMakeOutput.log file shows numerous compile lines that contain both -std=c++17 and -std=c++11 such as:

/usr/bin/c++    -std=c++17 -fPIC -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Werror=date-time -std=c++11 .....

I’ve searched through cmake source files trying to understand why this is happening, and even changed every occurrence of c++11 and CXX11 I found and reran cmake, but the result is the same.

Help / insights appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene

Thanks Gene, that’s indeed “weird” on LLVM’s side. They seem to use LLVM_CXX_STD instead of CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD. So you probably need to configure with -DLLVM_CXX_STD=c++17.

Thanks for bringing this up, we also need to fix this on the ROOT side :slight_smile:

Axel

Thanks Axel,

Changing -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=17 to -DLLVM_CXX_STD=17 results in the following cmake error.

CMake Error at cmake/modules/HandleLLVMOptions.cmake:462 (message):
  The host compiler does not support '-std=17'.

Interestingly using -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=14 or -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=11 produces the exact same error for those standards.

While reading the cmake code to try and understand this error I realized that if it’s been too long since I’ve had a headache, all I need to do is read cmake code. :wink:

So I just searched for c++11 in cmake files and found/replaced it in:

• src/tools/cling/CMakeLists.txt
  • src/cmake/modules/HandleLLVMOptions.cmake
  • src/cmake/modules/CheckAtomic.cmake
  • src/cmake/modules/AddLLVM.cmake

This reduced, but did not eliminate the occurrence of -std-c++11 on the compile lines shown in obj/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log

-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=’-std=c++17’ simply adds an additional -std=c++17 at the beginning of each compile line, so it’s not really valuable since the compile lines don’t lack for -std= flags.

It’s obvious that the author of the cmake code wanted to ensure c++11. Perhaps c++17 is not viable?

Best,

Gene

-DLLVM_CXX_STD=c++17

In LLVM there is LLVM_CXX_STD, which should be either c++1y or c++1z, and LLVM_ENABLE_CXX1Y or LLVM_ENABLE_CXX1Z options (bool). In ROOT they are all automatically set by the CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD option. Maybe changing the option on an existing build could mix those values, and re-configuring from scratch could fix the issue. I can try to check how it works in stand-alone cling on Friday.
P.S. If you open a cmake-gui you can see those options

What you say is that one should use a deprecated "c++1z" ("c++1y") name instead of "c++17" ("c++14").

I simply show the options available in LLVM (which is old) that are automatically set when building ROOT

@bellenot also cxx17 etc are supported - they just don’t have even more dedicated funny LLVM CMake variables but are simply covered by LLVM_CXX_STD. See my PR - it does what you’d expect it to do.

1 Like

Thanks.

Running:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_TOOLS=Off -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python3

Some /usr/bin/c++ lines in CMakeOutput.log and CMakeError.log have -std=c++11, and some have no “-std=”.

Running:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_CXX_STD=c++17 -DLLVM_BUILD_TOOLS=Off -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python3

Some /usr/bin/c++ lines in CMakeOutput.log and CMakeError.log have only -std=c++11, some have only -std=c++17, some have both, and some have no “-std=”.

CMakeOutput.log and CMakeError.log from this second run are attached.

Best,

Gene
CMakeError.txt (37.0 KB)
CMakeOutput.txt (153.7 KB)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.