Garfield program not running at 100% cpu load

Hi,

As the title suggests, I have recently come across an issue where the execution of a Garfield++ code does not run at 100% of CPU load. This problem causes the program to take longer to execute as well as wasting “resources” when run on a supercomputer. So, any suggestion on how I can alleviate this problem is greatly appreciated.

Previously, this is the typical running load of my code (display from htop):

As one can see, all threads are utilized at 100%, and this is kept up throughout the execution. However, at this point, this is no longer the case. As I increase the number of electrodes to be calculated for signals, the running load becomes like this

So, the load for all threads just drops by ~30%. I was able to narrow down to this part of my code that causes this issue

double xe1, ye1, ze1, te1, e1;
  double xe2, ye2, ze2, te2, e2;
  double xi1, yi1, zi1, ti1;
  double xi2, yi2, zi2, ti2;
  int status;
  int Aright = 0, Aleft = 0;
  int count = index;
  bool calculate_signal = true;
  int max = omp_get_max_threads();
  std::cout << "Maximum number of threads: " << max << std::endl;
  omp_set_dynamic(0);
  omp_set_num_threads(max);
  #pragma omp parallel for
  for (int k = 0; k < index; k++) {
    AvalancheMicroscopic aval;
    aval.SetSensor(&sensor);
    aval.EnableSignalCalculation(calculate_signal); 
    aval.AvalancheElectron(electrons.at(k*4 + 0),electrons.at(k*4 + 1),electrons.at(k*4 + 2),electrons.at(k*4 + 3), 0.1, 0,0,0);
    const int np = aval.GetNumberOfElectronEndpoints();
    DriftLineRKF drift;
    drift.SetSensor(&sensor);
    drift.EnableSignalCalculation(calculate_signal);
    for (int j = np; j--;) {
      aval.GetElectronEndpoint(j, xe1, ye1, ze1, te1, e1, 
                                  xe2, ye2, ze2, te2, e2, status);
      drift.DriftIon(xe1, ye1, ze1, te1);
    }
  }

Specifically, it is the second for loop (the inside for loop) that causes this issue (when I comment out the second for loop, all thread runs at ~100%). If anyone has come across this issue or knows how to fix it, please let me know.

Perhaps a Garfield++ developer could answer? Not sure who to cite @Axel

I’ll look into it, but I’m afraid I won’t have time in the next two days…

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. It would be great if you can look at it when you get the chance. In the meantime, I am doing some profiling and trying different solutions. I will post my progress here once I get some sort of update on my end. Thank you again.

Hi,

I have not found any solution so far, but here are some behaviors that I have noticed:

1. The reduction in utilization can be alleviated (only slightly) by decreasing the number of threads used.

2. Since the second loop has a rather large range (np can be between 1 to ~2000), this may be causing load imbalance? (This is only a guess).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.