Garfield++ installation on Ubuntu 20 Error

_ROOT Version: root_v6 .16.00.
_Platform: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
_Compiler: G++

I have tried to install Garfield++ but 31% into the process, I get the following error after passing the command make && make install (the image shows 1% because I repeated make && make install several times but the first time the error showed up, it was at 31%):

make[2]: ***** No rule to make target ‘/home/neha/root-6.16.00/build/lib/libtbb.so’, needed by ‘libGarfield.so.0.3.0’. Stop. make[1]: ***** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:409: CMakeFiles/Garfield.dir/all] Error 2 make: ***** [Makefile:149: all] Error 2

The previous installation steps seem to work fine. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me resolve this. Is this a linux version related error? ROOT works perfectly fine.

Hi,
I am not expert of Garfield, but looking at the error, but you probably need to build ROOT with tbb support. You can use this ROOT build option -Dbuiltin_tbb=On

Cheers

Lorenzo

1 Like

Thank you very much! This is useful to know. Does this mean I would have to uninstall and then reinstall ROOT with the tbb support? Is it possible to pass the build command with the tbb option within the current directory for ROOT without uninstalling it? I attempted it however it didn’t work, but am just curious whether that’s something specific to my PC or directory or just a general error.

Hi,
No you don’t need to un-install ROOT. You might need to face the change in the cmake cached, by disabling first tbb and then run cmake again with builtin_tbb=On.

Lorenzo

1 Like

Thank you very much! I think this issue concerning tbb has been resolved as the installation did proceed after implementing your suggestions. Working on a bunch errors that showed up concerning the gnu version at the moment. Do you have any suggestions on how I could go about this? Thank you for your help!

I’m a bit confused by your setup. You installed ROOT to /usr/local/? Did you use the linuxbrew g++ also for building ROOT?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.