Garfield installation issue

Hi,
can you provide a bit more details? At which point during the installation did you get stuck?

thank you for your time hschindl. i’ll do and let you know. and my root is definitely on the Desktop as you were saying. i have to source the thisroot.sh before cmake.

i removed all the filed and directories to install and un tar the file again but now it is again giving error which should not be there. i export the file as shown.

then i again make same directories ans source the thisroot.sh but on the other hand now again git clone making issue that directory is not empty. last time when i did it the issue was resolved this way.

i export this in bashrc as you told thats why issue is coming or i did something wrong?

The problem is that you (1) keep changing paths and (2) try git cloning into a non-empty directory (which is not what I asked you to do). Let’s try to start from scratch, delete everything in /home/ahmer/Desktop/garfield/, and do a fresh clone. So, please, do the following:

rm -rf /home/ahmer/Desktop/garfield/
export GARFIELD_HOME=/home/ahmer/Desktop/garfield/
git clone https://gitlab.cern.ch/garfield/garfieldpp.git $GARFIELD_HOME
cd $GARFIELD_HOME
mkdir build
cd build
source /home/ahmer/Desktop/root/bin/thisroot.sh
cmake $GARFIELD_HOME
make
make install
source $GARFIELD_HOME/build/setup.sh
1 Like

oo… thanks dear i’ll do this according to your guidance.

thanks to you again hschindl. i came very far at last but i want to inteface it with geant4. but here its saying that geant4 not found but its already installed on my machine. how to interface geant4 with garfield so that itself find the geant4.!

and my geant4 is also on the Desktop.

now i have given the geant4.sh source script. and working but in make its again giving error. can you tell what’s is now!!

i want to install garfield actually i am doing project on GEM simulation that why i want to install garfield i donot know what is the basic procedure to install garfield

sir i am a student actually i am confused how to install garfield can u please tell me from starting step that how to install i read the garfield installation guide but dont know the procedure and donnot understand can we guide me step by step

i have install geant 4 and root file and camake but dont know how to install garfield

Hello,
this is a genuine issue, many thanks for reporting it!
I’ve just committed a fix:

Can you go to the directory to which you git cloned the Garfield++ repository, type git pull and re-build the project (make, make install)?

Here is short summary of the step-by-step instructions on https://garfieldpp.web.cern.ch/garfieldpp/getting-started/

• Set an environment variable $GARFIELD_HOME pointing to an (empty!) directory to which you want to clone the Garfield++ source:
export GARFIELD_HOME=/path/to/your/garfieldpp/directory
  • Clone the repository:
  • Create a build directory.
cd $GARFIELD_HOME
mkdir build
cd build
  • Set the environment variables for ROOT
source /path/to/your/root/installation/bin/thisroot.sh
  • Run CMake and make
cmake $GARFIELD_HOME
make
make install
  • Source the setup.sh script (you need to do this every time you open a new terminal):
source $GARFIELD_HOME/build/setup.sh

ok dear i’ll check by this. the let you know. and i gave the source command about the geant4.sh is it ok or i hae to give some other commands to interface garfield with geant4??

i’m student too at islamabad. its bit easy rather than lot of errors which i’m facing too.
just do as hschindl guiding us. and if still issue then, i can tell you in our own language.
Desktop ko copy kiyay bghair bashrc open kr k ap ny yeh 3 paths dyny hain see in pic.

but in first export where i write garfield-2 instead of this write just garfield.
then do this,
mkdir garfield
cd garfield
put garfield tar file in it.
then using command untar it.
then with in this directory give this command.
then you will need stronge net condition for cloning and it will do self after that you will see this all will give you “Done” written form that means cloning complete.
after that do this,
cd GARFIELD_HOME
mkdir build
cd build
source /home/your path/root/build/bin/thisroot.sh
that means you know where your root is installed and where is this root file in it.
then for interfacing with geant4 give geant4.sh command on the similar way.
then
cmake
make
make install.

hi its giving error now like this.

• a C++ compiler that supports C++11 and a Fortran compiler,
  • ROOT (6),
  • [GSL (GNU Scientific Library)]
    before installing and anything first install these from your synaptic manager with in the ubuntu, linux, or lunix mint whatever you are using.

Hi,
what is the .tar file you are referring to and why do you need it?