Fit with Gaussian

Hello,

I am trying to fit a gaussian to a data file I have. When the I view the histogram, it has a mean value around close to the peak at which I want it to fit around. How would I comprise a code that would fit about the ‘mean’ of a histogram, and then output (cout) the ‘chi^2/ndf’ of the fit?

Also, how would I separate the ‘mean’ of the histogram and the ‘mean’ of the fit that I obtain? (The reason why is because my ultimate goal is to iterate the fit to histogram until the ‘chi^2/ndf’ is sufficiently low, any help with this also would be appreciated to but help with just the initial question is very much appreciated.)

Thank You,
Edwin

Hello,

Maybe this would make my question more clear, I tried the following code and it shows up with subsequent erros:

root [41] TF1 *f1 = new TF1("f1","gaus",h1.GetMean(),-.5,.5)
Error in <TF1::TF1>: can not find any function at the address 0x3dacb9c. This function requested for f1
root [42] h1.Fit("f1","H")
Unknown function: f1
(class TFitResultPtr)64677040
root [43] 

Basically I’m trying to define a new function with the predefined gaussian function, and set the parameters so that the range to fit is set around the Mean (i.e. Mean-0.5 to the Mean+0.5). Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Edwin

Hi,

you can define your function as following:

TF1 *f1 = new TF1("f1","gaus",-.5,.5);
// set initial parameters (not really needed for gaus)
f1->SetParameters(h1.GetMaximum(), h1.GetMean(), h1.GetRMS() ); 
h1.Fit("f1")

Note that the initial parameters are not needed when fitting a pre-defined gaussian function, since in this case they are computed automatically.
Also the option H is not valid when fitting an histogram. It is for a linear fitting of a TGraph.

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Thank You so much,

I just have another question if you wouldn’t mind:

After I fit the historgram, I’d like to be able to call and output the Mean value of the fit. So I try the following but get the subsequent errors:

root [18] gfit.GetMean()
Error: Can't call TF1::GetMean() in current scope (tmpfile):1:
Possible candidates are...
(in TF1)
(in TFormula)
*** Interpreter error recovered ***
root [19] 

I’m not sure what this means or how to resolve it. I thought it would be as easy as I stated because I can call the Chisquare and NDF via:

root [5] double chisq=gfit->GetChisquare();
root [6] double ndf=gfit->GetNDF();
root [7] double chisqdf=chisq/ndf;
root [8] cout << "Chisquare: " << chisq << "/" << ndf << " : " << chisqdf << endl;
Chisquare: 19.0439/10 : 1.90439

So, I am left a bit confused. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Edwin

Hi,

for getting the function parameters like the mean of your gaussian do:

double mean = gfit->GetParameter("Mean");

or

double mean = gfit->GetParameter(1);

Lorenzo