Filling histograms in Parallel

_ROOT Version: 6.08.06
_Platform: Ubuntu/CentOS7
_Compiler: GCC 7

Hello,

I was just wondering if histograms in ROOT are threadsafe. For example TH1D, I tried filling a histogram by multiple threads and it seems to be working fine. However, I found this tutorial which says that I must use TThreadedObject in order to use the histograms with multiple threads.

Would you please elaborate on the thread-safety of classes like TH1D, TH2D and TProfile2D?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,
TH1D, TH2D and TProfile2D are not thread-aware. Most const methods should be safe to be called concurrently, but no guarantees are given.

TThreadedObject is a helper class that transparently creates one copy of the object (an histogram, in this case) per thread and merges the thread-local copies at the end. Filling different histograms in different threads is safe, and constructing histograms concurrently is safe if ROOT::EnableThreadSafety() has been called.

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for your quick response. Just to make sure I understood you correctly, you mean that both calling ROOT::EnableThreadSafety() and using TThreadedObject only guarantees thread-safety?

Thanks,
Mohamed

To safely create and fill ROOT histograms concurrently from multiple threads, you need both ROOT::EnableThreadSafety (which makes ROOT global lists as well as ROOT memory management thread-aware and adds some locks around global lists modification) and TThreadedObject (or equivalent logic that fills one histogram per thread with same binning and merges them at the end).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.