Filling a TTree with a TBits object? Can it be done?

Hello!

I am wondering if it is possible to fill a TTree with a TBits object? I have an analysis function that makes cuts on N-tuples. When declared it looks like the following:

Double_t analysis(string filename, TTree* toutput, Double_t xsec, Double_t Filter, Bool_t boosting,…etc)

I currently fill the events after being cut to an output tree to be used in my main code later.

I am experimenting with using TBits to indicate exactly which cuts are passed or not.
With the purpose of using that information and TestBitNumber to select events that pass exactly a certain combination of cuts.
For example: if an event fails a cut … mybits.SetBitNumber((n),1);

To do that I need to output it to my main function. How can I fill a TBits object to a tree, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks very much,
David

It looks like you can use the TBits::Set and TBits::Get to convert to/from a regular C array or even just an Int_t (or UInt_t, etc). As long as you know how many bits are actually present (the number of cuts), then you can save the value in an integer TBranch.

You could also use the std::bitset object and store that in the TTree, but it also has a more-obvious method for converting to/from an integer type:
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/bitset/bitset/
That page mentions using std::vector for dynamic sizing, but IIRC the vector implementation behaves differently than other std::vectors. I remember seeing some posts about it being difficult to include in a TTree.

Jean-François

Thank you that was very helpful!

Last question:
I am having trouble using Set() and Get(). Here basically is my code, I hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

TBits mybits(4);
Int_t array[4] = {0,1,0,1};
mybits.Set(4,array);
Int_t getarray[4]= mybits.Get();

Thanks.
David

It looks like when using Set() and Get() with integer arrays, that the bit values are the full binary representation of the integers, not that the arrays should be arrays of 0- or 1- values.

E.g.:

root [0] TBits b(8)
root [1] Int_t v = 3
root [3] b.Set(8,&v)
root [4] b.Print()
 bit:   0 = 1
 bit:   1 = 1
root [5] v = 7
(const int)7
root [6] b.Set(8,&v)
root [7] b.Print()
 bit:   2 = 1
root [8] v = 15
(const int)15
root [9] b.Set(8,&v)
root [10] b.Print()
 bit:   2 = 1
 bit:   3 = 1

The bits that are set in “b” correspond to the value of “v” when written in binary. I don’t know when the “nbits” parameter starts to matter, and the numbers of bits in an integer is platform-dependent, so this looks tricky.

I might instead recommend using the SetBitNumber() and TestBitNumber() values in a loop. That’s probably less tricky to get right, and allows you to use an enum to have meaningful names for your cut bits. E.g.:

root [0] enum {EnergyCut, MomentumCut, HelicityCut};
root [1] EnergyCut
(const enum )0
root [2] TBits cuts(3)
root [3] cuts.SetBitNumber(MomentumCut,kTRUE)
root [4] cuts.SetBitNumber(HelicityCut,kFALSE)
root [5] cuts.Print()
root [6] cuts.TestBitNumber(EnergyCut)
(const Bool_t)0

Yes that works thank you!
Interesting way of setting bits…