File buffered dynamic array

Dear Fellow ROOTers,

I’m writing you to discuss the best option to solve an issue I am facing in my code.

For analysis purposes I have to download a huge number of lectures of HV and current of a detector of ALICE. Both those kinds of values have to be saved in the same “vector”, sorted with respect to their timestamp, then processed.

At first I have used some TLists and TSortedLists, then I started experiencing some performance problems when looping over huge lists. I moved then to TObjArrays. I excluded TClonesArray because the HV and current measurements are stored as objects of two classes respectively (both classes have the same parent class).

When everything was working as expected with a small data sample, I tried to download a huge amount of data. At that point I started having some problems with RAM occupancy and noticed that after a long download session the RAM pressure was enough to make the system kill the process.

To complete my project I need for a vector-like type, sortable, which is buffered to disk and kept in the RAM only in buckets (a sort of TTree?).

Thank you so much for your help!

Gabriele

You might be able to use a TTree with a TTreeIndex (see TTree::BuildIndex) based on your timestamp.

Hello pcanal,

Indeed this is the road I am trying to follow.
Currently I have 72 arrays of data, one for each detector element.
In you opinion should I use 72 TTrees or a single TTree with multiple branches set to contain a TObjArray each?
If you suggest to use several TTrees am I allowed put in the TTree objects of different classes belonging to the same parent class?

am I allowed put in the TTree objects of different classes belonging to the same parent class?

Yes.

In you opinion should I use 72 TTrees or a single TTree with multiple branches set to contain a TObjArray each?

If all the array have the same timestamp then yes, I would put them in a single TTree so that they can share the index. If they all have different timestamp then you will need to put them in a separate TTree.

Cheers,
Philippe.

Dear Philippe,

Thank you for the information!
Indeed the 72 detector elements are not read in a synchronous way, so I suppose I should go with 72 TTrees.

I have managed to test BuildIndex to order the TTree filled with integers.
Have you any clue on what should I use as major and minor if I want to use a data member of the object?

Many thanks!

Gabriele

Have you any clue on what should I use as major and minor if I want to use a data member of the object?

You need to be able to make one integer out of the timestamp.

Roger that. Do you mean another branch pointing merely the object timestamp, right?

Not really. You can have in the index expression anything that works for a TTreeFormula including a function for the timestamp object if any.

Great!

Given that my parent class has a method:

inline ULong64_t GetTimeStamp() const { return fTimeStamp; };

How should I pass it to the TTree::BuildIndex method?

Easy :slight_smile:

fTimeStamp

You might need to prefix with the branchname.

Cheers,
Philippe.

Awesome, so I suppose TTree knows the internal structure of the objects!
Thank you so much for your help! Good night! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.