Features of precompiled binaries

I’ve been using precompiled binaries to install ROOT on ubuntu machines, and I noticed that the features included in the binaries changed quite a bit going from 6.28 to 6.30 (but also a bit between 6.26 and 6.28). Is there any documentation which features are included in which precompiled version? Or is it just a matter of downloading a version, unpacking it, and then checking what’s included?

I found that 6.28.02 has all the features of 6.26.10 plus “builtin_gtest”, whereas 6.30.02 misses a lot of the features of 6.28.02, like “exceptions”, “fftw3”, “fortran”, “imt”, “mathmore”, “shadowpw”, “soversion”, and a lot of the “builtin_” features. The only additional ones I see in 6.30.02 are two “test_distrdf_” ones and
“proof” (which I thought was deprecated?).

Below is a list of features for the different binaries for ubuntu:
6.26.10: cxx17 asimage builtin_afterimage builtin_clang builtin_cling builtin_cppzmq builtin_davix builtin_ftgl builtin_gl2ps builtin_glew builtin_llvm builtin_lz4 builtin_lzma builtin_nlohmannjson builtin_openui5 builtin_pcre builtin_tbb builtin_unuran builtin_vc builtin_vdt builtin_veccore builtin_xrootd builtin_xxhash builtin_zeromq builtin_zlib builtin_zstd clad dataframe davix exceptions fftw3 fitsio fortran gdml http imt mathmore mlp minuit2 mysql opengl pgsql pyroot roofit roofit_multiprocess webgui root7 rpath runtime_cxxmodules shadowpw shared soversion sqlite ssl tmva tmva-cpu tmva-sofie tmva-pymva spectrum unuran vc vdt veccore x11 xml xrootd

6.28.02: cxx17 asimage builtin_afterimage builtin_clang builtin_cling builtin_cppzmq builtin_davix builtin_ftgl builtin_gl2ps builtin_glew builtin_gtest builtin_llvm builtin_lz4 builtin_lzma builtin_nlohmannjson builtin_openui5 builtin_pcre builtin_tbb builtin_unuran builtin_vc builtin_vdt builtin_veccore builtin_xrootd builtin_xxhash builtin_zeromq builtin_zlib builtin_zstd clad dataframe davix exceptions fftw3 fitsio fortran gdml http imt mathmore mlp minuit2 mysql opengl pgsql pyroot roofit roofit_multiprocess webgui root7 rpath runtime_cxxmodules shadowpw shared soversion sqlite ssl tmva tmva-cpu tmva-sofie tmva-pymva spectrum unuran vc vdt veccore x11 xml xrootd

6.30.02: cxx17 asimage builtin_clang builtin_cling builtin_llvm builtin_openui5 builtin_vdt clad dataframe test_distrdf_pyspark test_distrdf_dask davix fitsio gdml http mlp minuit2 mysql opengl pgsql proof pyroot roofit webgui root7 rpath runtime_cxxmodules shared sqlite ssl tmva tmva-pymva spectrum vdt x11 xml xrootd

Hi,

Thanks for your observation.

The change is due to a complete rewrite of our CI/CD system. The approach based on which we build our binaries changed for major distros: we now try to rely as much as possible on the packages provided by the distros, without including the built-in ones.

I apologise if this caused an inconvenience to you and acknowledge that these behaviours should be documented in a more complete way in the future.

Best,
Danilo

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.