Failed to import ROOT in jupyter notebook in docker fedora 36

ROOT Version: 6.26/06
Platform: Fedora 36 in docker
Compiler: g++

When I run import ROOT in a jupyter notebook started as root --notebook --allow-root --no-browser --ip=0.0.0.0, I got the following error message:

Error in callback <bound method CaptureDrawnPrimitives._post_execute of <JupyROOT.helpers.utils.CaptureDrawnPrimitives object at 0x7f6e28ecbc70>> (for post_execute):

IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN4ROOT12Experimental7RCanvas11GetCanvasesEv' unresolved while linking symbol '__cf_18'!
You are probably missing the definition of ROOT::Experimental::RCanvas::GetCanvases()
Maybe you need to load the corresponding shared library?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
File /usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/JupyROOT/helpers/utils.py:461, in CaptureDrawnPrimitives._post_execute(self)
    460 def _post_execute(self):
--> 461     NotebookDraw()

File /usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/JupyROOT/helpers/utils.py:451, in NotebookDraw()
    449 DrawGeometry()
    450 DrawCanvases()
--> 451 DrawRCanvases()

File /usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/JupyROOT/helpers/utils.py:444, in DrawRCanvases()
    443 def DrawRCanvases():
--> 444     rdrawers = GetRCanvasDrawers()
    445     for drawer in rdrawers:
    446         drawer.Draw()

File /usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/JupyROOT/helpers/utils.py:416, in GetRCanvasDrawers()
    414 def GetRCanvasDrawers():
    415     if not RCanvasAvailable(): return []
--> 416     lOfC = ROOT.Experimental.RCanvas.GetCanvases()
    417     return [NotebookDrawer(can.__smartptr__().get()) for can in lOfC if can.IsShown()]

ValueError: static const vector<shared_ptr<ROOT::Experimental::RCanvas> > ROOT::Experimental::RCanvas::GetCanvases() =>
    ValueError: nullptr result where temporary expected

But if I run import ROOT in ipython in the same container, everything is fine.

I installed root using dnf install root python3-jupyroot. The output of root-config --features is

cxx17 asimage builtin_clang builtin_cling builtin_llvm builtin_openui5
dataframe davix dcache exceptions fftw3 fitsio fortran gdml gfal gnuinstall
gsl_shared gviz http fcgi imt mathmore mlp minuit2 mysql odbc opengl pgsql
pyroot pythia8 qt5web rroofit webgui root7 shadowpw shared soversion sqlite
ssl tmva tmva-cpu tmva-sofie tmva-pymva tmva-rmva spectrum unuran uring x11
xml xrootd

Please let me know if you need more information to figure out what causes the problem.

Thanks, Jing

Hi @jingliu ,

it looks like there is a hook that is executed when starting ROOT in a notebook that tries to load and use ROOT7 graphics. The maintainers of the Fedora ROOT package split ROOT into several sub-packages, so my guess is that you don’t have a necessary ROOT sub-package install (the one that provides ROOT::Experimental::RCanvas::GetCanvases()).

Given the list here: root - Fedora Packages my guess is that you need root-graf-gpadv7 . You could/should report to the maintainers of the Fedora packages that this dependency is missing.

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi, Enrico, you nailed it! Thank you! Jing

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.