Failed instalation of last version root with cmake

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

_ROOT Version:6.22/01
_Platform:Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
_Compiler:gcc (Ubuntu 7.5.0-3ubuntu1~18.04) 7.5.0

I tried to install latest version root with cmake and failed(diagnostic);

/home/gitlab/root_build/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD/src/XrdCl/XrdClFileStateHandler.cc:45:10: fatal error: uuid/uuid.h: No such file or directory
#include <uuid/uuid.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [src/XrdCl/CMakeFiles/XrdCl.dir/XrdClFileStateHandler.cc.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [src/XrdCl/CMakeFiles/XrdCl.dir/all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2

First, we suggest to use one of the other installation methods listed at Installing ROOT - ROOT and only build ROOT from source if you have very specific needs. Then, if you really need to build from source and don’t need XROOTD, then you can try to disable it by passing -Dxrootd=OFF to cmake

About the actual compilation error you are getting: xrootd tries to include uuid/uuid.h but cannot find it. According to [packages.ubuntu.org], you are probably missing the uuid-dev packages. sudo apt install uuid-dev might resolve the compilation error (but as @bellenot says you don’t have to compile ROOT from source if you don’t have particular requirements).

Cheers,
Enrico

1 Like

First,thanks. Unfortunately it did not help.I am compiling from source because sometimes

I should look at source to get some info

With uuid-dev installed, the error should at least be different (maybe you need to clean the build directory and rebuild)?

I am not sure what you mean, you can still look at the sources even if your ROOT installation comes e.g. from a pre-compiled binary.