Fail to build Root on OpenBSD because G__Core.cxx would initialize std::string with a null value

I fail to build ROOT 6.18 on OpenBSD 6.5 guest VirtualBox Windows 10 host.

The source is taken from GitHub, and the build configuration is gcc-4.9.4 with libcxx=on.

The compilation fails to generate G__Core.cxx because std::string is being attempted to be initialized with a null value. Below is the exact error message.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
  what():  basic_string::_S_construct null not valid

This is a cling stuff so I have no idea how to patch it. Can someone give me a pointer on what to do next please.

Hi, this is a very unconventional setup. BSD systems are not being actively tested, but the combination of GCC and libc++ is probably not supported even on Linux. I recommend trying to use clang if you want to build ROOT with libc++, and use GCC only with libstdc++. If you still have a problem building ROOT in that case, then you can open a bug report and we will see what we can do to fix it. @Axel can comment on that with a more definitive answer, but any platform other than Linux, Mac OS, and Windows, is no longer being tested, so they should probably be considered not supported anymore.

@amadio, thanks for your reply. I found a workaround for the error shown.

I will follow your suggestion using gcc/libstdc++ combo. Actually, I noticed the cmake configuration info mentioned disabling libcxx so I guess no harm done.