Extern "lib.dll" doesn't work for .c but does for .cxx

On both linux and windows I see that the library import does not work for .c files, but does work for C++ extensions (.cxx). Is this a known intention / limitation or is there something different one must do?

I simply use:
extern “liba.so” void api_func1();

api_func1();

When the file is, say, test.c, CINT prints
"
Error: Function api_func1() is not defined in current scope test.c:15:
!!! return from main() function
"

It works fine for the same file when it is renamed to test.cxx

I tried LoadLibrary, GetProcAddress for the windows side of things (want to keep things as portable as possible) but it doesn’t recognise the pointer function as a valid call, even though the dll import works and returns a valid-looking address.
I read osdir.com/ml/lang.c++.cint/2004-08/msg00011.html and decided that having an #ifdef CINT block is not so bad and will probably not be of concern to end users, but requiring that end users use a specific non “.c” extension might be a little odd, especially if all binaries involved are plain C.

liba.so/dll is compiled as C++ with extern “C” and as just plain C and the behaviour of extern “liba.dll” is the same.

How did you implement this ‘exten “C”’ functionality? Do you use also header file? Can you provide this library?
Header should be like that:

[code]#ifdef __cplusplus
extern “C” {
#endif

// … code here

#ifdef __cplusplus
}
#endif[/code]
otherwise you may expect problems with mixing C/C++.

Look for details i.e. this page: parashift.com/c+±faq-lite/m … d-cpp.html

Right, I realise C and C++ don’t mix well which is why I want to expose the library as only C and use it only as C to keep things simple - we are targeting various platforms. The windows version will (probably) have to be implemented in C++ to access another C++ only dll, but it’s own API should be plain C.

I attach the code inline below. In the mean time, I noticed I simply need to call
"cint -A test.c"
to have it work. This does execute the C file in C++ mode, but it should be fine.

----------------- api.h ----------------
#ifndef API_H
#define API_H
#ifdef _WIN32
#ifdef API_EX
#define EX __declspec(dllexport)
#else
#define EX __declspec(dllimport)
#endif
#else
#define EX
#endif