Error while compiling ROOT 6.14/04 on macOS 10.14 (Mojave)

Hello,

I’ve been trying to install ROOT 6.14/04 compiling from source using cmake on macOS 10.14. I followed the guidelines for building root.

While compiling I get the following error:

CMake Error at /Applications/root-6.14.04/FREETYPE-prefix/src/FREETYPE-stamp/FREETYPE-configure-RelWithDebInfo.cmake:16 (message):
  Command failed: 2

'./configure' '--prefix' '/Applications/root-6.14.04/FREETYPE-prefix' '--with-pic' '--disable-shared' '--with-png=no' '--with-bzip2=no' '--with-harfbuzz=no' 'CC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/cc' 'CFLAGS=-O'

See also

/Applications/root-6.14.04/FREETYPE-prefix/src/FREETYPE-stamp/FREETYPE-configure-*.log

make[2]: *** [FREETYPE-prefix/src/FREETYPE-stamp/FREETYPE-configure] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/FREETYPE.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

I have reinstalled Xcode (last version) after updating my laptop, and I installed the command line tools running xcode-select --install. I attach the files /Applications/root-6.14.04/FREETYPE-prefix/src/FREETYPE-stamp/FREETYPE-configure-*.log.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

FREETYPE-configure-err.txt (250 Bytes)
FREETYPE-configure-out.txt (2.1 KB)

I don’t know if it’s related, but I think only the master compiles on macOS 10.14 Mojave

Thanks for your comment. Could you please explain what the master is and how I can get it? I haven’t found any reference on the installation guide.

The master is the master branch of the Git repository. See Direct Git repository access how to get the latest version of ROOT. I.e:

$ git clone http://github.com/root-project/root.git

And then follow the instructions on this page

Wait a second…

I was absolutely able to build even 6.12/06 on Mojave myself. But I did have to do a few things…

• Calling xcode-select --install was a good move, you of course have to do that after the whole Mojave update;
  • I found while I was trying to build Python-2.7.13, that I also had to install system header files under /usr/include to make the Python build successful. This is sort of a long story, you can read a bit more about it under for instance:

Bottom line is, you should execute the following to get the headers installed:

open /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg
  • Finally, I had to call
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.14

before starting my build. More of this is explained on for instance:

So… With the headers installed, and MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET set, I was able to build ROOT without problems.

Cheers,
Attila

1 Like

Hi All,

thank you both for your comments. Last night I successfully tried to install ROOT master. The installation went smooth except for the warning: warning: include path for stdlibc++ headers not found; pass '-std=libc++' on the command line to use the libc++ standard library instead [-Wstdlibcxx-not-found]. I have tested the installation on some macros and it seems to work just fine.

1 Like

Hi Attila,

open /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg is what we’d like to avoid. We prefer to change ROOT, rather than forcing users to change their (default) configuration. And by default, MacOS will not have /usr/include anymore, and ROOT’s master can cope with this just fine :slight_smile:

Cheers, Axel.

Could you post the context of where this happened? E.g. the output of building ROOT, if this happened during ROOT’s build?

Hi Axel,

Yes, that happened during ROOT’s build. I am sorry but I haven’t saved the whole output.

Hi Axel,

Depending on what other software one wants to build, unfortunately this seems unavoidable to install… As I started, ROOT was not the first thing that started failing for me. It was Python. And by the time I made the Python build work, ROOT built itself without any further issues.

Note at the same time that once I produced my binaries, I’m pretty sure that I would not need the headers from /usr/include to use these binaries. At least I’ve been advising the ATLAS users to try using the centrally provided analysis release binaries without installing the /usr/include headers, and so far nobody complained. So if you’re worried about people having to install those files, maybe Mojave binaries should be put on https://root.cern.ch/downloading-root for the last few production versions. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,
Attila

Hi Attila,

Yes but let’s get this straight: ROOT doesn’t require any system modifications, like installing stuff in /usr/include. ROOT master and soon 6.14 build out-of-the-box on MacOS 10.14 - as they should.

Cheers, Axel.

@Axel any ETA for the fixe(s) in 6.14 ?
Thanks,

Yesterday! :slight_smile:

We will likely release new 6.14 binaries next week.

Axel

1 Like

Hi there,
I have successfully installed root via git with the standard instructions. root works fine. But PyRoot doesn’t see to be able to load a lib??

% python
Python 2.7.10 (default, Aug 17 2018, 17:41:52)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 10.0.0 (clang-1000.0.42)] on darwin
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

import ROOT
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/Users/schaffer/work/root/lib/ROOT.py”, line 24, in
import cppyy
File “/Users/schaffer/work/root/lib/cppyy.py”, line 61, in
import libPyROOT as _backend
ImportError: dlopen(/Users/schaffer/work/root/lib/libPyROOT.so, 2): Library not loaded: @rpath/libTree.so
Referenced from: /Users/schaffer/work/root/lib/libPyROOT.so
Reason: image not found

Ideas?

thanks, RD

Just for info, the current ROOT 6.14.04 builds just fine as part of the MacPorts distribution. However, a user has reported to me an issue with compiling things via ACLiC. See

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57403

Solution as discussed there was to install /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg.

Of course, as I pointed out, compiling scripts is really not needed that much any longer, with ROOT6 cling. But nevertheless it is another consequence of the /usr changes in mac OS 10.14.

@Axel hi, when will 6.14/06 be out finally ?

v6.14/06 will be out this week!

1 Like

@fabio1 do you have objections again me moving this thread into the regular ROOT section, instead of hiding it? It has too much good content!

@Axel Not at all! :slight_smile:

It seems 6.14.06 is out but it still has the build issue with freetype, when /usr/include headers are missing. Did the fixes for this in master not get ported to this branch after all ?